Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anything wrong? Anybody know what, if anything causes this?

My oil is old and dark (dirty) so I change the oil and filter. Immediately afterwards I start it up and let it idle a couple of minutes. Then I turn it off and the oil is much, much darker, as I view it through the little oil level window. I'm running full synthetic, if it matters.

Remember when you change the oil in the car, and the fresh oil stays clear, light colored and clean looking for a long time? :headscratch

·
Registered
990 Posts
Murky coloured oil

I had the same on my GPZ1100S. I think the engine has a lot of nooks & crannies for the old oil to remain in so it discolours the new stuff quite a lot. Some people use a flusher to clear the engine out better but there are doubts about using flusher in bike engines from what I have read.

Next change I will try using some cheap mineral multigrade to do a change, run it around for a few minutes to warm it up & replace it with the expensive stuff. I am using a good quality semi-synth in mine.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had the same on my GPZ1100S. I think the engine has a lot of nooks & crannies for the old oil to remain in so it discolours the new stuff quite a lot. Some people use a flusher to clear the engine out better but there are doubts about using flusher in bike engines from what I have read.

Next change I will try using some cheap mineral multigrade to do a change, run it around for a few minutes to warm it up & replace it with the expensive stuff. I am using a good quality semi-synth in mine.
I agree with shortcircuit. Use lower grade oil first, then put in higher grade. You will be doing it twice but will be sure that your internals are clean. :smile

·
Registered
96 Posts
Being a car tech I personally think this is normal. The cleaning agent in the new oil is doing it's job. This doesn't take away from the lubricating features of the oil what so ever. This happens more often on foreign vehicles than anything. I would rather see dirty oil coming from my changes than clean oil which isn't performimg what it should do...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
there are 2 drain plugs+ the oil filter. one plug on the sump,one plug on the front right side of the pan plus the oil filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone. I just wanted to address BigNinja's question. The reason that your fresh oil turns dark quickly after an oil change is because of the clutch. The clutches are made from a friction material that does seperate from the steel that it is bonded to. After all the reason that we need to change our clutches after time is because of wear, and if you have ever looked at a bad/worn set of clutches you wonder where all that material that was on the clutched has gone? Well it's in the oil that we change--lololol--doesn't make any sense but thats why your oil gets so dark after an oil change.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello everyone. I just wanted to address BigNinja's question. The reason that your fresh oil turns dark quickly after an oil change is because of the clutch. The clutches are made from a friction material that does seperate from the steel that it is bonded to. After all the reason that we need to change our clutches after time is because of wear, and if you have ever looked at a bad/worn set of clutches you wonder where all that material that was on the clutched has gone? Well it's in the oil that we change--lololol--doesn't make any sense but thats why your oil gets so dark after an oil change.
So this leads to another question. :banghead Notwithstanding wear, is there a clutch plate change interval? :headscratch 6 years? 50,000 miles? 100,000 miles? Outside of opinion, what's recommended by the book?

·
Registered
96 Posts
So this leads to another question. :banghead Notwithstanding wear, is there a clutch plate change interval? :headscratch 6 years? 50,000 miles? 100,000 miles? Outside of opinion, what's recommended by the book?

I think you're going to get mixed answers on this for sure. My book says the service limit of the friction plates are 2.5mm. If any plates are below this spec replace as a set. The standard shows to be 2.7 - 3.0mm....This is for my 2000 zx-11. The life of the clutch is dependent on how you drive of course. Nothing in the manual about how often they should be inspected.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I say your situation is normal, it's the same on my ZX and my Concours. I don't have the numbers off the top of my head and I'm not going to bother looking them up but suffice it to say that if you read the service manual you'll see that the oil capacities are different between a fresh rebuild and an oil change. You just don't get all the oil out when you drain it, simple as that. However, I was never aware of the 2nd oil plug either, thanks ninja11zx for bringing that to my attention, I'm going to check that tomorrow!

·
Registered
878 Posts
WOW.... this just fucked me all up! I am going to change mine again NOW! This time using both drain plugs. I cant wait to get a service manual.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts