Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of excessive free play in my throttle. Is there an adjustment to make it react easier to the twisting of the throttle? Or do i have to replace a cable? My manual doesn't even mention throttle cables. Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
on the throttle cable below the speedo is an adjuster i cant think off the top of my head how to adjust it but its pretty easy

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a lot of excessive free play in my throttle. Is there an adjustment to make it react easier to the twisting of the throttle? Or do i have to replace a cable? My manual doesn't even mention throttle cables. Thanks
i have a good inch of play before my throttle actually kicks in. When i take it in for service in the next few weeks I would just gonna have them adjust it for me

on the throttle cable below the speedo is an adjuster i cant think off the top of my head how to adjust it but its pretty easy
if you figure it out I would like to know, its really annoying and if it is that easy ill run outside and do it right now
i just wish i had the service manual

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are two adjusters right off of the throttle. Simply follow the cables from the grip up about 5-7 inches. Look at it and move the throttle and you can see which one tightens/loosens the play. If you can get it tight enough at the throttle, there is another adjustment under the tank. I am quite certain I've seen the instructions in my manual...... But then again maybe I was on cheap crack that day:mfclap :scared

·
Registered
275 Posts
There are two adjusters right off of the throttle. Simply follow the cables from the grip up about 5-7 inches. Look at it and move the throttle and you can see which one tightens/loosens the play. If you can get it tight enough at the throttle, there is another adjustment under the tank. I am quite certain I've seen the instructions in my manual...... But then again maybe I was on cheap crack that day:mfclap :scared
ill try that out, but as i recall the manual did not mention it. it did cover the brake adjustment though

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've got loads of free play in mine as well but I'll just let my mate adjust it at first service.

This is what the manual says though:

*Free play should be 2-3mm

*Loosen the locknuts at the upper of the throttle cables and screw both throttle cable adjusters in completely so as to give throttle plenty of play.

*Turn out the decelerator cable (front one) adjuster until it is no play when the throttle grip is completely closed. Tighten the locknut.

So that's as clear as mud then :headscratch

Great translation from japanese and it doesn't even tell you to tighten the other locknut :rant

If this doesn't sort it further adjustment should be carried out by an authorized dealer. Just check that idle remains constant when the bars are turned lock to lock afterwards. It's on page 106-107 of the UK manual and includes a picture which isn't much use. The locknuts are the smaller ones after the bend away from the throttle and the adjusters the bigger screwy bits next to them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've got loads of free play in mine as well but I'll just let my mate adjust it at first service.

This is what the manual says though:

*Free play should be 2-3mm

*Loosen the locknuts at the upper of the throttle cables and screw both throttle cable adjusters in completely so as to give throttle plenty of play.

*Turn out the decelerator cable (front one) adjuster until it is no play when the throttle grip is completely closed. Tighten the locknut.

So that's as clear as mud then :headscratch

Great translation from japanese and it doesn't even tell you to tighten the other locknut :rant

If this doesn't sort it further adjustment should be carried out by an authorized dealer. Just check that idle remains constant when the bars are turned lock to lock afterwards. It's on page 106-107 of the UK manual and includes a picture which isn't much use. The locknuts are the smaller ones after the bend away from the throttle and the adjusters the bigger screwy bits next to them.
seemed easy enough. I adjusted it to have very little play. I will go for a ride tonight and see what works for me, but i didnt realize it was that easy to do. Took me about 45 seconds to get it right

·
Registered
494 Posts
Basically follow the two cables away from the throttle

You will see a larger plastic section. It will have two parts, a small disc and a long tube. Turn the disc away from the tube, then turn the tube out to make the cable longer. Adjust until you have the desired 2-3mm of freeplay then turn the disc into the tube to prevent it from moving.

Do not take all the freeplay out. This will affect your idle settings.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Do not take all the freeplay out. This will affect your idle settings.
i figured this much, i may have turned it too much but I didnt get a chance to ride it after I adjusted it

·
Registered
264 Posts
After making adjustments and confirming freeplay in the throttle (2-3mils approx) I always like to start the bike up and turn the handle bars all the way to the left then all the way to the right while checking freeplay each time while keeping an eye on the idle.

·
Registered
275 Posts
my idle seems to be around 1800ish (which i think is a bit high) I wasnt sure if it was me adjsuting the throttle or not. So i backed them both out and it still doesnt drop the idle.

any ideas?

·
Registered
101 Posts
my idle seems to be around 1800ish (which i think is a bit high) I wasnt sure if it was me adjsuting the throttle or not. So i backed them both out and it still doesnt drop the idle.

any ideas?
The idle adjustment is that twiddly knob sticking out of the left fairing - you can't miss it. Idle speed should be 1250-1350 with a warm engine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The idle adjustment is that twiddly knob sticking out of the left fairing - you can't miss it. Idle speed should be 1250-1350 with a warm engine.
any advice on how to adjust it. The 1 and 2 is about 1/4 cm apart. Just eye ball it? i assume it doesnt need to be super exact

·
Registered
102 Posts
just FYI i have a decent amount of free play as well and i tightened them up myself then took it in for my first maintenance. the tech put it back the way ti was and told me you dont want it to tight cause when turning the bars lock to lock you can run the risk of the cables pulling simulating you giving it throttle. He said hes seen this happening to racers causeing them to crash

·
Registered
275 Posts
just FYI i have a decent amount of free play as well and i tightened them up myself then took it in for my first maintenance. the tech put it back the way ti was and told me you dont want it to tight cause when turning the bars lock to lock you can run the risk of the cables pulling simulating you giving it throttle. He said hes seen this happening to racers causeing them to crash

hmmmm thats a VERY good point. But you dont need a ton of slack but i think the little bit of slack the manual says is enough to prevent that from happening. I dont think the manual would say 5mm or whatever it said it that wouldnt be enough. Either way mine was too much and it bothered me, the first day i got it all my friends kept stalling it because they couldnt get used to all the slack.

I just drove to school and man its alot nicer now. I also found the throttle adjuster. I saw it the other day and was like WTF is that :headscratch and i think i tweeked it a bit and thats why my trottle was up to about 1800. I dropped it to about 1200 and it seems to run alot better now. It also doesnt clunk into first as much

·
Registered
101 Posts
any advice on how to adjust it. The 1 and 2 is about 1/4 cm apart. Just eye ball it? i assume it doesnt need to be super exact
Yeah no need to be super exact with it. As long as it's around that mark it'll be fine. I run mine a couple of 100 revs higher - just personal preference.

·
Registered
101 Posts
2-3mm is the official line and as long as you check that there's no change in idle speed when turning the bars lock to lock it'll be fine. Too much slack makes it tricky to gauge getting back on the throttle when coming off the brakes and can just as easily result in a crash through too much / little throttle.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I run 0 free play on all my bikes.

Free play is the last thing I want on the track when trying to get the most out of throttle control.

If you ever get the chance to touch a AMA bike or GP bike twist the throttle as It will give you a whole new meaning of no throttle play and quick turn ratios.

As for the street not sure it matters all that much.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Free play is the last thing I want on the track when trying to get the most out of throttle control.

If you ever get the chance to touch a AMA bike or GP bike twist the throttle as It will give you a whole new meaning of no throttle play and quick turn ratios.

This is bad advice. What the other folks are saying about needing freeplay to ensure you don't get uncommanded throttle when you turn the bars is important. Imagine you're making a U-turn and just as you get to full lock you get a bunch more throttle. You'll be lucky not to drop the thing.

·
Registered
494 Posts

No offense, but this is something that I see on all the bikes that belong to "wannabe street racers." The same guys who run their bikes with the clutch adjusted all the way in so they can just 'flick' the clutch when they change gears. I laugh when they burn out their clutch or pile in their transmission.

I've worked on race bikes, and with racers. And they all have a little freeplay in their throttle. Otherwise you start to mess with idle settings, which affects overall performance. You've also got the afore-mentioned danger of having the throttle cable move during a turn and rocket you off. There's no where on a track that requires you don't have a couple mm of freeplay in the throttle unless you're dragging... but then again you should already the revs up when you're sitting at the line. And you just hammer it wide open soon as you see the 2nd last yellow light.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.