Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, current bike frame is bent. My options are having it straightened or buying a used frame. I was leaning towards bringing it to get straightened, but now I'm looking at just buying a frame and hoping everything's legit. My main questions are...

Are there VIN numbers on the frame AND the engine, or anywhere else? If so, which one do I get the bike titled to then? I'm assuming I'll just be going to the DMV to title a new vehicle as if I had just bought a used bike. The DMV has NEVER been that easy for me. What other kinds of problems might I have? How about insurance?

I'm sure there's a few of you that have had to replace a frame at some point, and can lend me some insight. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
In my chopper building experience all frames are titled from the vin number stamped on the frame. The only time the motor is used for titling is when it's a special construction and has no numbers on the frame. As long as you find a frame that has a clear title you should be good to go. I highly recommend having the DMV run the frame numbers of a potential donor BEFORE you fork over any cash. There are alot of theifs out there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i just swapped my frame:
new frame: when u buy a new frame u get a clean on that means it has nothing stamped on it. u ll swap it and then u get it blue tagged at the chp (in cali that is)

used frame: u put ur old vin number to non operational and ur used frame u buy like if u r buying a new bike and then put the frame in

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would say try the frame swap. You will have to take apart the whole bike and put it back together. You will then know every nut and bolt on that bike (good to know). But if you can get it straightened and leave it together, well I guess that would be the way to go. Maybe you should ask if you have to take the bike down to the frame to get it straightened. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts