Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just picked up a 2000 zx9 on a good deal well i thought was good deal, today i was about to start float bowl mod and noticed in spot i was told to look a hair line crack on inside of frame, iam i screwed or is this fixable and still able to be safetied? feel sick over it lol hate finding this stuff after a deals done, :banghead

·
Registered
400 Posts
Is it a crack in the frame or paint. You may be overreacting. If it's in the frame itself then a skilled welder can fix it. A safety inspector isn't going to look at the inside of your frame. They check all the gay shit like lights, brake pads, horn, and such.

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
Believe it or not, if you drill a tiny hole at each end of the crack, it will stop the crack from propagating until you can get it welded. Just don't trust it very long.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Believe it or not, if you drill a tiny hole at each end of the crack, it will stop the crack from propagating until you can get it welded. Just don't trust it very long.
+1 Get that shite fixed. The TIG welder will know what to do. The holes you put in it are tiny, then he preps and welds the entire length. Good as new.

Then it's happy days!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks guys, i guess next step is tearing bike down, theres a very skilled welder very close to my place so iam in luck for that part, i take it best way is to have bike down to frame and just take frame in,

·
Premium Member
13,120 Posts
ok thanks guys, i guess next step is tearing bike down, theres a very skilled welder very close to my place so iam in luck for that part, i take it best way is to have bike down to frame and just take frame in,

As long as the welder can get his TIG torch into the area to be welded. Cover everything that could be affected by heat and flame with some canvas or heavy-duty foil.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had that same crack problem- infact you might have read the thread a couple days ago that told a kid to look for it....

I took all the plastics off my bike, carbs, airbox, tank, even the exhaust and brought in the bike like that. The welder was able to fix it with no problems and without even pulling the frame.

Youll be fine.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks again, iam going to tear it down a bit and see how far down crack goes. ill try and post a pic

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also- I had my welder put a small scrap piece of aluminum on the back of the crack to strengthen the frame so the problem wouldn't happen again.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats what my guy suggested after i called, said maybe add plate to both sides that he has done a lot of these bikes crack repairs

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Yepp my thread winter custom overhaul I had this done and covered in there..had my buddy tig weld it and then I finished it nicely before powder coating..you might wanna check the welds on the underside of the steering stem sleeve front of the frame..mine had a couple hairlines there aswell!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the tip def going to look there now too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts