Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.Is it possible to replace the fork seals without dismantling the forks completely? I know on some bikes you can `hook` the old seal out and replace with a new one,obviously after removing the forks from the yolks,but i`m unsure on the ZX6R.My dealer says it has to be a complete strip down as its impossible to remove the seals without doing this,is he right or trying to make a few extra quid!anybody have any tips?I have conventional forks fitted to my bike not upside downers.Cheers.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't see why you wouldn't pull them all the way apart if you've got to replace the seals anyways. You're going to have a bunch of dust and metal grindings floating around the bottom of the fork from normal use. Not to mention the fact that you should be replacing the fork bushings (wear items) when you do the seals to prevent play from developing in the fork.

It doesn't take that much longer for an experienced mechanic to pull the forks all the way apart, and you might actually be saving yourself money in the long run. I mean... if you did a fork seal change this year that took 2 hours, and then next year develop play in the forks you're looking at 3 hours to get the bushings replaced, and you can't reuse the seals. So you've got 5 hours work where you could have just had the three, and only one set of seals.

I'm not a fan of half-measures.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah you got a good point there.I was hoping to be able to do it myself but i dont feel competent enough to strip the forks myself completely.Off to speak to my `freindly` dealer!Thanks for the info though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts