Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not sure if your 95 is like my 98 but I didn't need a compressor. I simply unscrewed the cap from the inner tube. Lowered the inner tube, pushed the washer on top of the spacer down to get at the shaft with the wrench, and then turned the cap loose off the shaft. After that, just pull the pieces out in order. The springs aren't that stiff. I also noticed the description of the tool says it's a must for inverted forks. Maybe inverted forks have a different spring set up than our forks and a compressor is required.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Yours has standard forks, right? I wonder why they went back to that?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes. I just came across another thread that mentioned your model has inverted forks. I didn't realize that was the case. I honestly have no idea of the internal differences between the designs to be able to say what you'd be facing when you take it apart.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
If you are just changing the seals and oil what I did on my friends B model was drive a straight pick through the seal and gently pry it out. The hard part was getting the new seal in. Wasn't that hard though.

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
The spring compresser is not an absolute necessity but does make the job a little easier to do. Have done many without but they are a little easier with. Since you already have the tool, might as well use it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The spring compresser is not an absolute necessity but does make the job a little easier to do. Have done many without but they are a little easier with. Since you already have the tool, might as well use it.
Will it work on my bike (95 ZX-9R)? Does my bike have the holes in the spacer? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are just changing the seals and oil what I did on my friends B model was drive a straight pick through the seal and gently pry it out. The hard part was getting the new seal in. Wasn't that hard though.
You're talking about standard forks, right? Mine are inverted. Which is pretty damn trrick for a bike from 1995 but a bit of a pita to work on.

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Will it work on my bike (95 ZX-9R)? Does my bike have the holes in the spacer? That's what I'm trying to figure out.
Yes, they will work on all forks. You can use it on top of the spacer, in holes in the spacer (if it has them) or on the top of the spring. All it is for is to compress the spring and hold it while you loosen the nut off the top of the damper rod. Inverted forks and regular forks are the same internally for the most part (as long as they are cartridge style). I have a 96 7R and a 96 7RR and I use mine on both even though the RR has a spacer (with cut outs) and the R has solid spacers (w/o cut outs). These tools are made to do all forks not just certain types.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
All you have to do is take the 10mm allen bolt out of the bottom of the fork then all the guts come out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts