Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi guys,

Was just going to change the fork oil according to the workshop manual when I thought of a new, easier way (probably somebody before me thought of this as well).

I attached a longer, thinner tube to my MityVac pump, then attached the end of the tube to a steel wire (bit of coathanger). After inserting the tube down the fork all the oil can be easily pumped up.

No disassembly, mess etc. great :smile

Now how the :headscratch do I get pictures in here...

OK - first try on pictures - let me know if it can be improved :smile

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

· Registered
94 Posts
i took mine off and drained it needed seals. but at the shop we have the air vaccum brake bleeder found a pulley with a set screw in it and a tube that would fit. took my calipers measured from the bottom which would set on top of the fork to the end of the tube for the oil height. sucked out the excess and oil height was set. you could use your mityvac in the same way.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks guys :smile

Yeah I know its not ideal - there will be some oil left at the bottom - but not much though according to the amount that I removed.

Of course once the old oil is removed I set the height of the new oil also using the MityVac- that is much easier than going by volume and also assures having the same amount in both fork legs.

I have also considered drilling and tapping in drain screws at the fork bottoms (like on some Honda's from the factory). But I will wait with this until I need to take the forks apart for seal replacement anyway.

Have any of you done this? Any tips or hints associated with this?

Thanks again for the comments.:smile

· Premium Member
13,442 Posts
Whenever I change fork oil, I like to drain out the old crap which has turned gray from sucking water and contaminants, and then fill the tube with mineral spirits, pump the tube several times to circulate the solvent and then drain again before refilling. It really cleans things out so the new oil can do it's job.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Obtaining correct oil-level in forks.

hi Smitherines,

I have found that the easiest way is to remove the springs, then fully compress the forks. Add oil according to specifications - then suck out oil until level is correct. This is easiest done by using either the professional tool for it (oil level thingy - see here: http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52373) og making you own with a piece of wire, a tube and a pump such as a large syringe or a Mityvac :smile

cheers :smile

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.