Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed the other day when I changed my front brakes that one of my forks is leaking oil, not too bad right now tho..gonna wait till this fall to tackle it , does anyone know how tough a job this is to repair? Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
IMO the most difficult bit is finding a way to hold the inner whilst you undo (and do up again) the allen bolt at the bottom of the fork. There is a special tool (expensive) or some have had success with a broom handle wrapped in denim. The first time I did mine I just ran them down a dealer and he air-gunned it undone. Once I had it apart I made up a tool which comprised a 19mm nut (I think) on a long T-handle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I made a home tool but last time I tried to break out the allen bolt in the bottom of the forks they wouldnt budge. I then resorted to using this method which works fine as long as you dont need to split the forks just pump the seal out - see towards the bottom part of the article.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/replace_fork_seals/

"So, instead, we'll take the road less traveled. All you'll need is some cheap motor oil, a catch pan, a jack, a piece of wood, and a car or truck. Fully extend the stanchion out of the slider and completely fill the fork with oil. If possible, make sure there is no air in the system. Reinstall the fork cap. You now have a closed system with nowhere for the oil to go. Lay the fork on top of the catch pan with one end against your garage door frame. Now park your car with its front wheel parallel to the door frame. Place a board across the car wheel and wedge your car's jack horizontally between the fork and the board. See Photo 5 to more clearly see what I am referring to. Slowly extend the jack. With nowhere to go, the fork seal will push out. As soon as the seal slides out far enough that you can pry it the rest of the way with a screwdriver, stop compressing the fork, or things could get messy."

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
...There is a special tool (expensive) or some have had success with a broom handle wrapped in denim. The first time I did mine I just ran them down a dealer and he air-gunned it undone...
I "made" such a tool in a very cheap way. I got a piece of steel square tube (1" x 1") and cutted it the right lenght and that's it. The end of the square tubing fits perfeclty into the fork's part that need to be held while undoing the allen bolt. I cutted it long enough (I think mine is 24" but it could be many inches shorter) to hold it (horizontally) in a vise and sliding the fork over the other end. It's a very easy one person job.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys thanks for tips on tools and stuff on doing this, I really appreciate it, now to just wait for winter to get here to do it

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can replace the seal without taking the shock apart.

If you have to take it apart, the bottom bolt normally comes loose if you compress the shock - various ways to do this, but what we do is take tie down straps (ratchet type) and wrap them length way around the shock and crank it up, the hooks can go into the holes for the caliper.

When you compress the shock, the inner normally does not turn either. Slowly release when done.

If you do not want take it apart, open the top, pour the old oil out and flush with petrol or something.

Prepare an old thin screw driver by sharpening it with a slight hook or hollow line on one side. Drive this screw driver into the old seal between the housing and the seal spring and fish the seal out, but be carefill not to scrath the stanchion or housing, slide it off and slide the other one over and Bob's your auntie. You can use the old seal to tap it back into place, but always be carefull not to scratch the stanchions.

I've done shocks seals like this before and works like a charm. Must admit though, I have not done the Zeds like this yet , but it does not look like it can be much different from other bikes. Won't work on upside-down forks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Did mine 2 weeks ago with a 39.00 electric impact and a 18mm bolt head to hold the damper rod still.Use pvc pipe to drive the new seal in-less than 2 bucks.It took me half a Saturday because I was watching football at the same time.Next time I could do it in 2-3 hours.Pay close attention to the order as you remove parts.

·
Registered
494 Posts
IMO the most difficult bit is finding a way to hold the inner whilst you undo (and do up again) the allen bolt at the bottom of the fork. There is a special tool (expensive) or some have had success with a broom handle wrapped in denim. The first time I did mine I just ran them down a dealer and he air-gunned it undone. Once I had it apart I made up a tool which comprised a 19mm nut (I think) on a long T-handle.
You don't even need to do that, just hit the bolt in the bottom of the fork with an impact driver. It'll spin it fast and hard enough that it should just come right out. You may need to go back and forth with it a couple of times. But it's faster then trying to shove a special tool down into there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
OK next time I will search the forum before asking the stupid question over again, sorry for my other thread and now I know why no one said anything!
Duh!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts