Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
i dont know for sure that mine is shooting flames but it sure sounds like it. my car sounded the same way when it would shoot flames. if it is actually shooting flames when it pops though i would say it does it a whole lot lol. any time i get on it and then let off the throttle it will pop at least once. sometimes like 3 or 4 times. i dont really like it though. i think its wasting gas lol. it is pretty cool to see or hear though.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry i forgot to mention what year i was specifically talking about.

but eclipseworld...sounds like you own either a GSX or GST.

·
Registered
144 Posts
aslong as we still have the cat on the bike, i don't think you will be seeing any real flames. i know guys with full systems shoot some good little sparks. i have yet to see any w/ my slip on, or atleast anyone tell me they seen any

·
Registered
47 Posts
when i was riding tonight i got my friend to watch the exhaust on mine and when i let off the gas he said it shot about a foot long flame out. the bike it an 03 zx6r with yoshi slip-on, k&n air kit, and its been remapped. it pops like that all the time so it shoots flames all the time. whether he was right on the size or not im not sure. i have not been able to get it to do it with me watching but it does do it.

silversurfer. i had a 90 gst with full exhaust, upper intake pipes, and boost controller that i ran 13.7 on with stock turbo and street tires. now i have a 90 awd with a 2.35 stroker motor, gt12 dual bb turbo, full 3" exhaust, aem ems, 1000cc injectors (just the short list lol) the car doesnt run right yet. i think something is up with the aem but im going to get it right this year hopefully lol. i think low 11's are reasonable with the setup i have but im going to have to get some drivetrain work done when the car gets going good.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
holy jesus..that 90 awd sounds crazy fast. if you do your best i believe you will be able to hit high 10's. how much boost are you running?

·
Registered
73 Posts
i've never seen mine shoot flames with my scorpion on...
and no one has ever told me it does..
mine only pops when i hit it and downshift hard and heavy..

·
Registered
47 Posts
mine pops A LOT lol.

the awd isnt running yet. i had it going for 3 weeks with the turbo, exhaust, fmic, and a smaller set of injectors on my old motor. i spun a rod bearing in the motor though and it locked up. thats when i bought the stroker motor, the aem ems, the 1000cc injectors, a bigger fuel pump, and all that good stuff lol. i will probably try to push about 20-23 psi. the turbo is going to hold me back though. they said that i could probably get 450 max hp out of the turbo on pump gas, and i could propbably make it to 500 with race gas. if i can ever get it going and get a good trans and rear end in there i will have to upgrade the turbo just to use the motor to its potential. the builders said the motor could handle up to 900 hp. im thinking that is having to rebuild it every year lol. i dont want to do that. i would like to see it around 600 i think. who knows if it will ever happen though. this stuff gets expensive.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is it the remapping/jetting causing the flames or is it strickly the slip on?? Sounds like there is unburned mixture leaving the combustion chamber and being lit by the hot exhaust.

·
Registered
73 Posts
all bikes come mapped irregularly..
mine u can smell that its rich..
if u map it,it usually runs better in every gear plus maximize the hp potential in your bike..

·
Registered
191 Posts
So is the pop/flame shooting normal?? Its alright, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I'd just get the feeling that things ain't running smoothly if that happened to me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the fwd eclipse was a dd. the awd was originally going to be a dd but now i doubt it will be. maybe during the winter. right now the bike is the dd except for when it rains. when the weather is bad i have a 95 monte carlo z34 that i drive. if i can get the eclipse going im going to get rid of that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
no dude i said i would like to get it to where it would make 600. the turbo that is on there now can only make around 450 max hp on pump gas. either way it cant be any worse than the monte carlo. the monte carlo gets about 16-17 mpg. my fwd eclipse after i upgraded the turbo and was running like 20 psi was still getting like 28 mpg. thats the good thing about turbo cars. they get good gas mileage untill you actually use their power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts