Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like it says above, will i be able to use the steering damper off an 07 zx10 to fit on my 07 zx6r. I dont know if it is just me but when i taking a turn doing like 60+ on the freeway i feel scared to go any faster in fear the bikes handle bars will turn or the bike will come out from under me. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm in the process of trying to figure this out myself. Eyeballing it (my bike sitting next to a ZX10) the tank mounts are in aprox the same place. And there is little to no difference between the hieght from the from to the bottom of the upper triple. I didn't think to check the steering stem to fork distance, but that may be irrelevant. I'll be taking the vernier to both bikes once I get a day off here.

Basically what you're going to need to do is buy the bolts off the zx10r tank, and drill two holes in the bottom right of your upper triple clamp in order to mount the steering damper. I'm trying to buy a cheap upper triple so I can still ride while I'm doing this. Said holes will need to be tapped (or helicoiled preferably). In order to mount the steering damper.

As for your reasons for wanting to install a damper... A damper is designed to do one thing - prevent rapid oscilation of the handlebars (or clip ons) that may result in a total loss of control. Geek-speak for it'll stop a tank slapper. A tank slapper is typically caused by acceleration through a corner over a bump. Basically the front end gets a little light and starts to waggle, then gets worse and worse.

The problems you're describing, are indicative (to me) of not enough experience with the bike. Ride some more and see how it feels, you shouldn't feel like the bike is coming out from under you, or the handlebars will turn. Have faith in the bike, it'll take care of you.

Either way a damper won't solve your problems. But it's a challenge, and I want to see if I can make it work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I guess it's all about what you're comfortable doing. Had a few different bikes and the most stable one is this one by far. Just a personal opinion: damper on a 07 6r would be a waste of money!!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Like it says above, will i be able to use the steering damper off an 07 zx10 to fit on my 07 zx6r. I dont know if it is just me but when i taking a turn doing like 60+ on the freeway i feel scared to go any faster in fear the bikes handle bars will turn or the bike will come out from under me. Thanks for any help.
I'm firmly in line with what Sev and greenbeastie are saying regarding your fears. Open her up, counter steer and chuck her in - she'll cope!

I've been riding for 22yrs almost every day and the 6R is very stable for what it is. I spent some of that time riding for a living and consequently I've been fortunate enough to ride over 100 different machines. The modern principle of fitting steering dampers to every sports bike stems from the days of the early Blade and such like that took the 16in front wheel fad from the late 80's and combined it with a sudden drop in weight and increase in performance. These things would shake their heads given any opportunity but chassis technology has moved on. Sure a steering damper is no bad thing to have for that one time an evil tank slapper could occur and it may save your ass but I personally don't think the 6R is lacking for not having one.

There's a road near to where I used to live that is perfect for inducing pant filling tank slappers so if I get chance I'll take the 6R up there and see how it does. I'll pretty certain it will be less frightening than some of the bikes I've ridden along there.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Didn`t think i would need one until today. While out riding on a straight stretch of road,around 55mph, i hit some road patch while i was glancing off the roadside. My front end did the wierdest shudder ever but i managed to get her under control. I decided to order a GPR v-4 stabilizer today. I`d hate to find out the hard way! good luck.xxx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts