Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im at 600 miles on the bike and im about to do the first service on the bike. Other then an oil change, what should I do when checking out the bike? Also anyone got any recommendations on oil for the 07 zx6r? Never really done much work on a bike before although im an Auto mechanic. So any tips would be appreciated!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just got mine back from its first service. Dealership changed the oil, lubed pivot points and chain, topped up coolent and a general check over. They also adjusted my shift lever...apparently the bolt was torqued to tight explaining why it was difficult to downshift at times. As far as oil goes, there is many brands out there. They are probably all pretty close using the same blend components. I use Kawi oil.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nah xtreme machines here in NJ allows me to do everything to my bike. Don't have to bring it to them for anything unless it breaks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think the first service should be left to the dealer. I look at the first service as an extention of the PDI (pre-delivery inspection). The dealer has access to certain info that we do not. You never know what kind of issues on certain production dates that may be unique to your model, the kawi dealer does though and this is the time when those issues (if any) will be addressed. I am a mechanic as well (automotive & industrial) w/an engineering background probably capable of handling the first service. However, for the reason above I left it to the pros. My .02 cents bro.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Still under warranty. I do the oil and filter changes, brake pads, fit crash knobs, racks, dealer does the rest. When its out of warranty then plugs, wheels bearings etc. The complicated stuff gets left to the dealer.
gammac

·
Registered
78 Posts
That is a myth.

By law you do not need to take the bike to the dealer to keep your warranty in effect.

You will need to show receipts for the oil, filter and so on so make sure you keep them as well as records of the service you do.

Also many of the dealers do such bad work you can do a much better job yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts