·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I go synthetic or no? I've heard two differnt options:

Go synthetic on first change
or
Go synthetic on 1000 mile change.
Suggestions greatly appreciated as always.

·
Registered
498 Posts
go for fully synthetic... if i'm not mistaken 10W40. As with all my previous bikes, i use fully synthetic. No problems whatsoever...

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've always been told that synthetic is not good for break in. Something about excessive ring blow by and tappets not breaking in properly. I'm not so sure that I believe this, but using real oil until the first 1000 or so certainly isn't going to hurt. Personally, I'd go with the real oil at first. Don't know if there is actually any truth in this theory.
T

·
Registered
683 Posts
Oh, I ride older bikes (1990 ZX11 being the newest), but I always run 20W50.
T

·
Registered
498 Posts
Coincidently, i just came back from changing my engine oil. Used Motul 300V fully synthetic oil. According to the kawasaki dealer here, he said to use fully synthetic (10W40) for the first 3 services then change to 15W50 thereafter.
It confuses me but on my ZX-9R E1, i used fully synthetic all the way. No problems until now....

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would hold off on the synthetic until about 2000 miles... The more you run regular oil the cleaner your engine will be from the break-in debree... After about 2000-2500 miles your engine is quite clean and then i would only recommend going full synthetic!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would hold off on the synthetic until about 2000 miles... The more you run regular oil the cleaner your engine will be from the break-in debree... After about 2000-2500 miles your engine is quite clean and then i would only recommend going full synthetic!!!
agree 100%, im waiting to go full synthetic at 3000

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I went to the full synthetic at 1350 kms (approx. 800 miles) and that was my second service. No issues thus far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts