Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it was a beautiful day here in South Dakota so i decided i was going to ride my bike to work. One of the first real riding days. I got off at 9 and it was supposed to be about 40 then. I knew on my way home it would be a little chilly, but i have a short ride home. I got of work and it was much colder than predicted and it had misted a little so the roads were damp and cold. I was not going to leave my baby sitting in the walmart parking lot over night so i decided to drive like a grandpa home. I should have left it there, or went home my normal route. The way i usually go home is much faster and has some big 40 mph turns so i didnt wanna go that way. :angry

Turns out to be a bad decision. At our walmart (i work in the electronics dept) there is a 4 way intersection, 3 of which have a stop sign. I came to one of the signs and stopped. I went to turn the corner and then it happened.... in slow-mo. I was maybe going 5 mph when my rear tire somehow slid out from under me a little bit. It jerked my handlebars to the right, which in turn cracked the throttle open some from my wrist moving down with the force which wasnt a whole lot. I just wasnt ready for it. Now it would have been alright if the bars didn't jerk and cause me to hit the throttle. When this happened my tire lost all traction spun from under me and my bike slid on its left side. I picked up my bike, set it on the kickstand then proceeded to let go a list of curse words. There was a nice guy who did stop to check and make sure i was alright. It turns out he rides a cruiser. I am fine, not a scratch on me. I did have my gear on at the time, even though it didnt matter on this one.

All in all my tank is dented, both of my mirrors are broken off and my left side plastics are damaged. It rides fine from the little i rode it home. It didnt seem to have any issues mechanically. This is the first time i had any accident on a bike, and its my third year riding. I knew there was a good chance it would happen sometime, just happy this time it was only damage to the bike. Looks like i now joined the other group of riders though: The one's who have gone down.
I am not blaming the adverse weather conditions for my wreck. It was my own fault. Looks like i am going to have to cancel my new helmet order now though so i can get my baby repaired. :angry :banghead

Some bad cell phone pics in my garage.

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
dam dude. both wrecks on my bike were due to stupid issues with what i expected the road surface to be like and what it actually was. I feel ya, but we learn and move on.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope i didnt have frame sliders on it. That was one thing on my list to do, but stupid me never got around to doing it. Its not all that bad i am just very angry at myself and thought i would share my dumb story.

·
16,062 Posts
It's not dumb. Shit happens.
I put sliders on mine.......

AFTER I crashed it :tard
People can tell you all the stories in the world.
You just gotta live this stuff.
Happens to everyone.
The worst part will be riding it around like that and and looking at people at red lights, looking at the bike and thinking,
"I'm not a squid, no really"
:lol

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not dumb. Shit happens.
I put sliders on mine.......

AFTER I crashed it :tard
People can tell you all the stories in the world.
You just gotta live this stuff.
Happens to everyone.
The worst part will be riding it around like that and and looking at people at red lights, looking at the bike and thinking,
"I'm not a squid, no really"
:lol :rotflmao Thats gonna be the worst part. But o well i will get over it, and i always have my helmet on so they wont know who i am.

I would go for a ride tmrw, but i dont have any mirrors now. :angry
Anybody know the part number for OEM mirrors?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Laid it down

It happens man. When i was 16 i had a brand new 1991 ninja 600 r. I was turning into a parking lot and i was heavy on the front brake and there was a little gravel and i went right down busting my new bike all up:scared

Also one time i was sitting on my bike and backing out onto the street slipped on some gravel and dropped it in front of 2 girls i was trying to impress. :rotflmao

I can go on and on and on really starting to ride at 5yrs old had it ups and downs.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes found the part numbers for the oem Mirrors. $86 buck for the left and $85 for the right. I guess ebay here i come.

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
eBay after market set look nearly identical, 30 bucks for both. I know I had to order last summer for a mirror breaking incident.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that is not too bad for the mirrors. I am gonna have a friend who works at a body shop help me with the dent in the tank. Get it pulled if possible then bondo and paint it. So that should not cost me too much. And i think i am going to leave the plastics like they are for now, since i can live with it for the time. And when i get my tax return i will be buying some frame sliders. Had them on the old bike, and never got around to getting them for this one.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
sorry, it was just your time to crash.
You're wiser now and your wallet will be lighter for a little while.
Hey, you didn't even get a scratch. I'd say you are one very lucky dog.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
I think I'm averaging some big scare every 2-3 years. You'll feel awful for a while, but we're here to help you get back on your feet. Just try to get as many miles under your belt between offs. At least that way you feel like you are getting your money's worth.

·
16,062 Posts
You'll feel awful for a while, but we're here to help you get back on your feet.
Exactly.
Because the sooner you get over it and feel better, the sooner we can bust yer oranges about it.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
O i am mad about doing it but i am not like afraid to ride or worried or anything. I would go out tmrw and ride if both of my mirrors didnt break... and bust my oranges all you want. Shit happens, and i am fine. So i will get it legal to ride again and be back on it. I still am addicted to riding, and i dont see that changing at any point.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I did the same thing 4 days before the crash that really fucked me up except it was cuz my clutch rod seal leaked bunch of oil on my back tire. I which is also the reason I crashed I think, I was still afraid to lean it over to the left, otherwise i would have made it through the turn that I didn't.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Had 2 friends go down already.
You guys are getting too antsy to ride, roads are still shitty and weather is too cold to have fun so why risk it?
Glad you're alright though.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
I started to read the story and with a 4 corner intersection and 3 stop signs...........:eek:hno I thought it was going to be I got hit. I am glad you are ok and you can always fix the bike.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
sorry to hear that bro, glad to hear you are okay and that is all that is important. i had my lil spill a while back, same thing cold tire should have not ridden, but she slipped and boom there you go. i do have sliders on now. lol, but she is better than ever and so yours will be too. good luck on the repair and again biggest thing is that you are okay! if you are going to go down, might as well be at 5mph just as i did.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys. And it may come back from this better than ever. My best friend is a body man and he told me he would paint it for free if i buy all the paint. So now it on to find out what im going to do for a paint job. I really like white and a nice orange. But i am also thinking maybe yellow or green two. I just dont know at this point what im going to do.
Anyone have any good ideas? Let me know

1 - 20 of 20 Posts