Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right ho peeps, something that I have noticed and would like some feedback on.
Here in OZ, when you first obtain your riders license your restricted to a 250cc motorcycle. After the probationary period (one year) you are then able to upgrade to a larger cc motorcycle. Is this the same in your area or is this just a down-under thing-??

When I first started (18yrs ago) there was a training course and license for a 250cc, repeated for 750cc and again for 1100 and finally another induction for open class:rolleyes but the up side is, the things I learnt saved my skin on many occasions.
Is this a good way to introduce riding to newbies? or like a tin top (car), go straight for the big stuff (V8) and skip the small?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here in Illinois there is no restriction. When I first took my test I did it on a 75 honda cb750 chopper. I know here if you take a state recognized safety course, you can get your license by just taking a written test at the dmv. Of course that was 14 years ago. :headscratch

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
holy shite.... just like that, what do they say in the vid and how hard is the written test?

·
Registered
200 Posts
same here, the written exam is straight from california's little pamphlet. however, the actual DMV practical exam is rather difficult. i know some experienced riders who cannot pass it b/c it is tailored for bikes like a honda shadow and not sport bikes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Same here in philly and the state of pennsylvania...Just gotta pass a 16 question test and they hand you your permit...only regulations with a permit around here is that you cannot ride with a passenger , you can only ride when there is daylight out(after dawn and before dusk), and you MUST MUST MUST wear a helmet. You fail to do any of those things while in the permit phase, your permit is taken from you and ripped up and you must wait a month before you can retake the written test to get your permit all over again. Then after a year with the permit you can then get your license by taking the road test or taking the riding courses and competeing them. Damn dude i jsut basically wrote out all of PA's motorcycles laws in 2 mins....I think i just developed carpal tunnel syndroe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I started riding, 1983, Idaho required no MC license. That's right go to the dealer, buy a bike and ride. They changed the law in the late 90's. I was grandfathered in and had to take a written test but no on bike test. To this day, I haven't had anyone official tell me that I can ride....unless you count my race license.

I think there should be a tiered system here in the States. I feel that this would lower the accident rate in a big way and therby lower insurance premiums.

G

·
Up here in Alberta Canada you just head on down to the place on your 16th birthday and do a written test, and then you have to complete a skills course. 7 or 8 events and 12 attempts. If you use up all 12 attempts you fail have to take again. If you attempt the same event and fail 3 times. Events are, low speed straight line, tight cornering, emergency stopping, figure 8, serpentine, serpentine with shift, start and stop on a hill, tight corner with shift up and down on straight into another tight corner. Stuff like that.

After you've completed both you get your "class 6" and you can buy any motorcycle you want. Pretty sure it's similar in other provinces only great thing about Alberta is the Insurance. My 1000cc costs me 300 Canadian Dollars a year to insure!
Drew`

·
Premium Member
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Drewfus, do they allow speed? within the posted limit, and is there a practical test on main roads with a leader?

As for helmets ....... you'd have to be a spud not to wear one, bit hard to put your face back together when your chin is spread 100 yards down the tar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts