Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:hno Im 43 and looking to buy a new ninja zx-14 for my first bike.
Are the ninja zx-14's pretty easy to handle in the city.
Is the ninja zx-14 a good bike for a beginner as far as handling and everything goes or am i just crazy thinking about getting one as my first bike.
Give me some feed back, you can also email me at: [email protected]

Thank you and Happy biking.:smile

·
Registered
990 Posts
It all depends on your self control really. At moderate speeds & throttle openings any modern bike is fairly docile & controllable. It's when you open them up that things start to get more interesting & unmanageable. If you have never ridden a big/powerful bike you won't appreciate how rapid they are and that is where you get the problems. They will get you into trouble VERY quickly and an inexperienced rider, unless they are especially gifted, will not be able to get themselves out of trouble very easily.

I have not ridden the 14 but I would imagine that there will be a lot of weight on your wrists which will make prolonged low speed city riding very uncomfortable. The other thing is I have been told that the brakes are quite sharp, not ideal for a novice if they get into a skid (is there an ABS option in the USA?). Also it's been noted on the forum that the 14 does get hot at lower speeds.

If I were starting again I would seriously consider either the Z750S or the Ninja 650R, both will make ideal city bikes & still be plenty of fun out of the city. Also get plenty of training, it's better spending out on that than crash repairs or even hospital bills.

So, end of the day it sounds crazy but if you go about it the right way, it is do-able, as long as you are aware of the risks & how to avoid them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thats just short circuits nice way of telling you your crazy. ;)

When he says you have no idea how fast they are he means just that; You have absolutely no friggin idea how fast they are unless maybe your a retired naval aviator and your used to getting you ass catapolted off the end of an aircraft carrier. The thing is you can go buy a new Corvette, Porsche, etc. point it down the road and floor it. The rear end might get a little squirrly but the car isn't going to flip over on top of you or flip over on its side and go tumbling down the road. Likewise if things get to hairy in the sports car just slam on the breaks and keep the car pointed in somewhat the right direction and hold on. On the bike if you over-brake 100+ mph your toast.

Another rider put it best; When you start riding a bike your handed two bags, a full one labeled LUCK, and an empty one labeled EXPERIENCE. The trick is to fill up the second before you empty the first. Starting with a ZX-14 your going to be dipping into that LUCK bag with both hands.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
498 Posts
As a ZX-14 owner, i am in total agreement with ridgeracer and shortcircuit. You should consider in buying a 600cc bikes first as it is a good platform to start and appreciate its power and most importantly gain EXPERIENCE. I am a previous owner of a ZX-9R E1 and even so i am still learning to tame the beast eventhough i have 6 years of experience.

What i can tell you is that the ZX-14 is one baddass bike that should have not been sold to the genaral public. Why....? because of it's overwhelming power and torque. It's very light steering are far more better than my ZX-9R. Between 1500-5000rpm the bike has been castrated to make it userfriendly. Above that, it goes totally mental all the way to the redline.
The front bakes are VERY POWERFUL. It just takes only 2 fingers to stop it thanks to it's radial caliper and master cylinder. Another thing i would like to mention is about the heat of the engine.... the bugger get's hot pretty quickly. One word of advise though, wear proper boots. For me, it's a bit unbearable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot everyone for your reply,im not ready to die just yet.
The ninja zx-14 is way too powerful for a novice user like myself.
I think maby the 650R or Ninja Z750S will suit me better. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks alot everyone for your reply,im not ready to die just yet.
The ninja zx-14 is way too powerful for a novice user like myself.
I think maby the 650R or Ninja Z750S will suit me better. Thanks everyone.
Yeah a riding buddy of mine has a 650R. Pretty nice balance of power and controlability. Seating position is also nice, kind-of in the "sport touring" type seating position. The combination of its balancing factors (power, seating position, etc) I don't think it will overwhelm the majority of new riders, nor will it become a "slug" to you very fast (that is, it has longer "legs" than say a 250 or 500 ninja have).

I was riding cruisers 15 years before I bought a ZX-14 (my first sport bike) at the age of 35. I waited because I wanted the benefit of road experience and age to temper me. And as the other folks have said, and I can affirm, the power on this thing, is frankly, boarderline unimaginable. It requires restraint, good judgment and experience imho to own. As a first bike, it is probably the single worst decision a buyer can make so I think you are being exceedingly wise in choosing another bike first.

Good luck, and keep us up to date on what you buy!

PS One other word of advice. Regardless of income or finanacial ability, most folks recommend your first bike be a used one. Why? You will drop it. This isn't a reflection on you my friend. Trust me, it's not just you, nearly everyone drops their first bike (and by drop you may be in your garage, or just sitting stopped at the corner of your street and loose your balance). So, a couple of year old bike with a slight bit of wear already on it, won't hurt your "heart" as much as dropping a brand new shiney bike.

/.02

G

·
I am a new rider as well this last year and I have been extremely happy with purchasing a pre-owned motorcycle. I had no idea whether or not I would like riding, what type of bike I would enjoy, who and where I'd ride with. I have been told that the average life if a sport-bike in North America is 8 months for the reasons stated above, people aren't ready to handle them.

I spent 3000 bucks on an 86' 1000 CC and have still been scared of the amount of power the bike puts out. I have learned a lot about maintenance, and did end up putting it down (luck bag low, experience the same...) on a rainy day in a corner. Bonus - Hey it's 3000 bucks, it didn't break the bank, it's not the first time this bike has fallen over, and theres lots of parts on E-bay for it.

I also had a chance last summer to spend 500 bucks on a course and have absolutely loved it, in my opinion it taught me a lot of the things that I would have needed to have Close Calls to learn. Little things like NEVER put your front brake hard on when you walking your bike and the handlebars are turned, or good advice such as what size of bike is ideal for my personal riding. (i.e. 500-750 = not a comfy highway bike! 750 and above usually has a longer wheelbase little less jarring)

Plus you don't wanna invest to much because that first time you get caught on a cold fall morning, in the rain, and your in summer gear and can barely pry your fingers off the bike after your ride you discover whether you believe that it's "part of the experience" or "...I hate this, I hate this, I hate this."

·
Registered
10 Posts
hmmm.. not so much

:rolleyes The zx14 is docile and pleasant if you don't crack it open. There is no reason whatsoever to scold someone and claim they are playing with fire or must be extremely lucky to get away with riding one without getting themselves killed. The 14 was my first bike, still is with me and I've had no problems at all. Meanwhile out of the 30 or so guys I ride with HALF have gone down many of which doing stupid shit or taking unnecessary risks on much smaller bikes. The mentality and self control of the rider is what matters not the bike. You can die on a 250 just as easily if you're a moron.

Whether or not you wreck is multiplied by your personality. If you disrespect what you're dealing with you WILL get put in your place ASAP. For me the zx14 was my first not because of its reputation, or its amazing leave you screaming like a little schoolgirl when you twist it feeling.

I bought it because it fit me better. At 6'4" and most of that from the waist down, any other bike was just too damn small. To respond to what another person said about it hurting your wrists the 14 has a different handlebar position that makes it easy to ride all day without any pain at all. The seat is a soft cushy one not a piece of plywood with leather over it like other bikes. It is an amazingly comfortable bike and anytime I sit on a smaller bike all I do is shake my head and ask "why!?" Not only that but the profile of the 14 is bigger and I would like to be able to say much more noticeable to cagers.

If you have self control and want to be able to take longer trips while still having the sportbike fun. BUY THE 14! You'll more than likely just be upgrading over and over again till you reach it anyway.

·
Registered
266 Posts
:rolleyes The zx14 is docile and pleasant if you don't crack it open. There is no reason whatsoever to scold someone and claim they are playing with fire or must be extremely lucky to get away with riding one without getting themselves killed... You can die on a 250 just as easily if you're a moron.
Oh, I don't think anyone was trying to scold the fellow. Rather just advising them of their personal experience in motorcycling. Sure the first 4k rpms are docile on the 14. But you know, you own one, she has the ability to rip you off your seat in no time and with not much twist of the wrist. And I agree wholeheartedly with you that you can die on anything (whether one is a moron or not) from a 250 to a 14.

But prudence I think is what the folks (myself included) were mentioning. I have a buddy that has an '07 ZX-10R as his very first bike; acquired three days after passing his MSF. Now mind you, he is an amatuer car track racer, so he understands the physics behind driving and racing. But, watching him paddle his legs and fumble that monster between them (and fumble the controls, engine revving WAY up sometimes, break getting squeezed sharply) makes me cringe for his safety. And I mean cringe with a capital C. While your personal skill maybe exceptional (as is your size, cutting back on your comfortable buying options) but I think it, personally imho, is imprudent to recommend to a brand new rider, with a freashly minted motorcycle endorsement in his hand, the awesome power that lies underneath the ZX-14; if simply because there is all that extra power there to get a rider outside his skill envelope that is harder (NOT impossible, but harder) to do on a less imposing machine.

Sure, I agree with you, he WILL likely work his way up. But 6 months, a year, or two on something in the 650R range, will not only teach him how to ride... but he will learn if he even likes sportbikes... or riding bikes at all. Better to find out with a used bike in the $4-5-6k range, than dump two or two and half times that on a brand new 14.

Again, just my two cents.

=)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have to agree with the majority of the posts on here regarding the power that you're dealing with as an amateur rider.

I have ridden 500's, 750's, and currently have a litre bike. The power is insane on the 10R, and I hear it's worse on the 14 from those I know that have them.

Again, not to put anyone down that is looking to ride, but I totally agree that working your way up, and finding the "right bike" for you is the way to go.

I have ridden the 650, and I have to tell you that I didn't like it. The riding position, handlebars etc. were just not what was comfortable.

At 6'6" I understand full well the challenges associated with finding a bike that fits. I find that the 10R is the most comfortable bike for me and my height. I have been on gixxer 1's, and the CBR1000RR, and I still say that the 10R is most comfortable, but again, NOT a starter bike.

I believe full well that along with graduated licensing, there should be graduated cc's. That's not to say that there aren't those few riders who can get on a powerhouse bike and be respectful.... it can happen.

But it's not.... I reiterate.... NOT always the rider! It's the situation, road conditions, and idiot cagers that can be the deciding factor.

I think the suggestion to start out on a smaller cc bike is warranted and good advice. I wouldn't personally go for the 650 as I didn't find it an enjoyable ride.... but then again I already owned the 10R and was used to it when I stepped down to test drive the 650. To me it felt awkward and underpowered, but might be alright for a new rider.

My first suggestion, if looking for a sport bike, would be the 6R.

I'll echo a statement I made in an earlier post... Ride what you want, but just remember.... "As soon as you think that you're the master of the machine.... The machine will show you something new!!"

my $.02

·
Registered
57 Posts
amen to swoosh....

it's not just the power though.. it's the weight too... until you learn fully or competently enough how a bike handles, extra weight is not a good thing... the first geared bike i ever rode was a honda X4.. 250kg... not a good thing when you stall.. also, if you end up going a bit too fast through an S bend, not realising there's a 2nd corner, the lighter bike will be much more compliant..

even me stepping up from a 250 to the 14 is a big and risky step... i DO have experience on bigger bikes, and have ridden many - from the X4 to CBRs to ducatis etc. but the 250 is MINE, and those are... well.. not mine~

a lot of people tell me i will hate the 14 because it can't
corner like my 250 can (and i have to admit, the 250 can corner damn well)... i don't have any chicken strips left on my tire... but i know it's capable of leaning further than i can, and turning faster than i do.... so the slower turning speed of the 14 is ok~

i want something comfy and with a bucketload of torque.. a good tourer with sporty capability.. and the 14 fits that spot nicely.. the FJR or the new Concours won't fit into my garage unfortunately, as I can't get them through my door.. but the 14 fits just in~

i'm currently debating the 14, the new z1k and the fz1n..

·
Registered
498 Posts
The master 'swoosh' has spoken. Nicely put my friend. We are not here put discourage people, just concern eventhogh we will never meet. Better late than never.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well put RidgeRider,... A ZX-14 really isn`t a place for a beginner, things just happen to dam fast,and that coupled with inexperience could find a guy wishin` that he chose something a wee bit slower/lighter for a first bike.Just my humble opinion.
Ed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
:rolleyes The zx14 is docile and pleasant if you don't crack it open. There is no reason whatsoever to scold someone and claim they are playing with fire or must be extremely lucky to get away with riding one without getting themselves killed. The 14 was my first bike, still is with me and I've had no problems at all. Meanwhile out of the 30 or so guys I ride with HALF have gone down many of which doing stupid shit or taking unnecessary risks on much smaller bikes. The mentality and self control of the rider is what matters not the bike. You can die on a 250 just as easily if you're a moron.

Whether or not you wreck is multiplied by your personality. If you disrespect what you're dealing with you WILL get put in your place ASAP. For me the zx14 was my first not because of its reputation, or its amazing leave you screaming like a little schoolgirl when you twist it feeling.

I bought it because it fit me better. At 6'4" and most of that from the waist down, any other bike was just too damn small. To respond to what another person said about it hurting your wrists the 14 has a different handlebar position that makes it easy to ride all day without any pain at all. The seat is a soft cushy one not a piece of plywood with leather over it like other bikes. It is an amazingly comfortable bike and anytime I sit on a smaller bike all I do is shake my head and ask "why!?" Not only that but the profile of the 14 is bigger and I would like to be able to say much more noticeable to cagers.

If you have self control and want to be able to take longer trips while still having the sportbike fun. BUY THE 14! You'll more than likely just be upgrading over and over again till you reach it anyway.
Well going from scooter riding (great MPG) and race car now to my race car is my daily driver and getting bike to race
Well I just went to dealer. I was sitting on alot of different bikes.. Most which the seats were kind of high for me. He was pushing me toward the ZX-14 since I drag race cars and that is my plan for the bike in the future.. The seat was low and the bike felt comfortable. Some other like the Ninja 650R had low seat but that bike is slower then my car was stock.
He said he really only worries about younger guys that dont have respect for speed. Said leave traction control on and put it in limited power mode and respect it.
I plan on taking all the beginner and advance classes

·
Registered
383 Posts
:eek:hno Im 43 and looking to buy a new ninja zx-14 for my first bike.
Are the ninja zx-14's pretty easy to handle in the city.
Is the ninja zx-14 a good bike for a beginner as far as handling and everything goes or am i just crazy thinking about getting one as my first bike.
Give me some feed back, you can also email me at: [email protected]

Thank you and Happy biking.:smile
Forget what everyone else is saying you need to get that 14 brah!
You are on your last leg anyways, who cares if you die from it.. im just kidding you might want to get one with training wheels first.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts