Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/girls, Been lurking around the forum for a couple weeks now and finally decided to post.
I picked up a 06 Limited 636 a few weeks ago.
This is my first personally owned bike but I have been riding on and off for a couple years now.

Overall the bike is in pretty good condition considering the miles (15k).
And that is the reason I am here.
With 15k on the clock what all should I do or look at?
I have done an oil change, motor runs good and smooth so Im sure the plugs are good.
The front rotors look to be a little worn so I will replace them along with pads.
Also a buddy of mine who works at a local bike dealer told me to replace the cct with a manual cct.

Aside from this stuff what all would you guys recommend I do.

Thanks for the time and I am looking forward to a Fun and Safe riding season.

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
Valves are due soon if not done yet.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
+1 about the valves.

If I were you I would check all the fluids since you just bought it (except oil since you did it), I would pull the plugs just to see (I do every 5K), and also the air filter.

Daily ride maintenance I do.

- Tire pressure
- Chain slack/tighten and clean/relube chain
- Wash/clean bike

·
Registered
888 Posts
do the valves, replace the gasket

your good on the oil change, but also bleed the brake fluid, replace the brake pads, drain and replace the coolant, replace the spark plug, replace the air filter.

thats just what i would do if i aquired a used bike with 15k miles. Id probably go as far as replacing the chain, and inspect the sprockets and hoses and replace them if there's a good sign of wear and probably replace the battery if i have enough cash.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked the brake fluid and it looks pretty nasty so it looks like ill replace that when I get my new pads and rotors.

Ill look into the Valves, Just need to find a shop that will be willing to swap shims with me. Definitely don't feel like buying the shim kit.

Thanks guys! So far this is my top second favorite bike to ride, and I have rode MANY bikes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
congrats on the bike, now lets see some pics of her!

·
Panda Man
4,462 Posts
Congrats on the new (for you) bike! Like the others have said, the valves should be due unless they were done by the previous owner.

Also, let's see some pics!

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
you are doing a major brake job. Go ahead and install a braided stainless line kit for front and rear. You might pick up a mityvac brake bleeder if the the budget will allow. It just makes the bleeding process easier and quicker. I tried the speedbleeder bleed screw fittings. I would not buy them again. Not worth it if you ask me.

Learn how to bleed your brakes. You will prob want to do it several times a year. Remember to keep brake fluid off ANY PAINTED SURFACE.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you are doing a major brake job. Go ahead and install a braided stainless line kit for front and rear. You might pick up a mityvac brake bleeder if the the budget will allow. It just makes the bleeding process easier and quicker. I tried the speedbleeder bleed screw fittings. I would not buy them again. Not worth it if you ask me.

Learn how to bleed your brakes. You will prob want to do it several times a year. Remember to keep brake fluid off ANY PAINTED SURFACE.
Thank you for the tips and concern. I own a Auto Shop so bleeding them wont be a big deal.

I will try and grab some pics very soon.
Thanks for compliments and advice guys!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts