Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NO MORE (Fingers Crossed)

Well, I must thank you guys for posting enough info here on the GTR to put my mind at ease with most of my concerns, not that I had many....

I'm test-riding a GTR this coming Saturday and I think I can foresee the result, can I blame yous???:clap

Reading one of the recent posts regards the low-speed stability finalized my thoughts, having sat one one and melted into dreamland...
But - as I've currently got a BMW GS1150 (and had in the past a Z1300) so the height factor on the GTR is hardly an issue for me...

As the title implies, 'fingers crossed', hope my test ride does the trick - I can hardly wait:rofl

But - if you's could advise on a few minor questions....

I kinda like the silver one, but so far can only find black, must admit the black is nice, never had a black vehicle - how does the paint work stack up to regular doses of bugs and cleaning??? does it show all the buff marks obviously???
I'm one to clean bugs off when I get home after a ride, plane water then a finishing spray to bring the shine back... love a clean bike:rolleyes

Also - I'm turned off by wind-buffeting (lots on the BMW) and I met a guy recently on a FJ1300 who had the same issue, very disappointed I was (thought they might have been for me) - but I've read here (& there) that the GTR has a good wind situation, I'm only 5'6" and most of the comment re-wind seemed to be from taller riders - I think I might be well covered you think?

This is my first post then, Howdy, Hello and G'day
Pete
:fingersex

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi Pete and a very warm welcome. I have a Diablo Black one as I think it looks a lot meaner and sportier than the silver.
The black does show up dust a lot as you would expect. I too like a clean bike so do exactly what you do after each ride. No problems with marks so far. Only problem I have is that my textile trousers have a black leather patch on the butt. This sticks to the seat and leaves streaks, (from the leather..promise:lol ) on the seat which need a bit more elbow grease to get off. As the trousers are newish I expect that in time that will wear off.

The screen isn't an issue for me. I'm 5'10 and ride with it slightly down at high speeds and right down at anything up to about 70mph.
As well as a Honda VFR for fun, I had a BMW K1200LT Lux for touring before I got the GTR and that is like driving an armchair. No wind at all so it is nice to RIDE a bike and not DRIVE one. I may get the taller screen at some stage in the future but I don't find the wind a problem. You should be fine being a few inches shorter. Only problem may be your inside leg. Mine is 30" and I can get both balls down (of my feet..:crackup ) comfortably. I don't find that a problem either but you need to be aware of the static balance weight when the bike is stationary as mentioned in numerous threads elsewhere.
There is always the Gel seat option which drops the seat rider height by 30mm.
Your'e lcky to get a test ride. We didn't have that lxury in the UK and I think it is only now that some dealers are getting demo bke available.
Good luck and enjoy the bike and the forum.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well... one more sleep and it all the fun starts in the morning for me:eek:hno

Old one is nice & clean, hoping it gets a reasonable trade, or I'll sell it privately...

I'm riding a black GTR in the morning and see what trade they give me, then I'm off to the other side of town to look at a silver one, that dealer's got a silver demo and black 1 on the floor... if I get to the second dealer I'd say my arm would be nicely twisted by then:fingersex

hey - I'm excited, can hardly wait and so hopeful I'll like it:eek:hno It's always so much fun being a kid again :smile when getting a new bike. Today I walked around the corner to the local (at work) Kawa dealer and just had another look... nice

I'm just wondering, (I'll search the forum again) but, that KIPASS thingo, one of the guys at today's lunchtime dealer visit thought the system is activated when you're about 4 meters away (12feet+-), would that mean, hypothetically :headscratch if you're sitting on the pub verandah looking at your nice GTR sitting within the activation radius, some (racially enriched censored description) walks up and turns it on and rides away....??? surely not....

Also... I've got a 31" inside leg, so (hitman) I've got longer legs than you, but you're taller, won't ask who's got the longer....:rotflmao , so add the boot/heal, and my GS history, I shouldn't have a problem at landings...

well... warm & sunny 3-day weekend coming up... no doubt you'll be hearing from me after the ride tomorrow:crazyloco

·
Registered
228 Posts
It only works within a few feet, and has some directional properties (distance reduced in front of bike), so you'll be safe from someone just riding off on your new pride and joy.

Also due to the weight it makes it much harder for them to carry it too! :evil

·
Registered
451 Posts
I got as bit worried about you might have a longer .....WAIT FOR IT........... inside leg than me. :nana Just checked and it is actually 31" and I've always thought it was 30". :headscratch. Still, I don't really have any problems at all with getting my feet down at stops. Haven't yet had any sphincter moments when I have my feet/toes down. Just makes it harder to peddle backwards but then I find it better to push the bike out of a parking slot before getting on. Couldn't even do that on my last bike...but it did have a reverse gear:crazyloco

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I often move the bikes around the yard when I'm cleaning them (also got a 500cc Gilera scooter), but with the (current) GS I find that as well as having both arms on the bars and keeping your bum/side against the seat/side of the bike keeps it together during the move.
2 years ago I rode to the north of Australia and back through the inland, around 6500kms and not one issue with legs down or moving the beast with all that (overload) luggage... I thought, well... drop it and you gotta pick it up... :eek:hno

When I get the GTR I'm going to to that trip again (NOT with the dirt this time:lol ), should be a bloody nice ride I'd think!!!

Oh.... see what happens when you re-measure something, you gain an inch.... wow, can you imagine:rofl

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well... I would've come back sooner to say I've ridden one, ordered one and can't wait to get the miles up - but, I can't.

Annoyingly.... the dealer who I'd lined up to test-ride last weekend didn't open (we had a 3-day holiday here), nice of him to tell me:rant , no doubt he'd forgotten when things were set up. that pissed me off.

So I rode a nice sunny 40 odd miles to another dealer (who I'd rang the other day), he had both colors on the floor, so at least I could see them and dribble:lol

Then, I lost my way around that part of the city:banghead and by the time I found the shop he'd also shut for the weekend.

by now I had the shits.:rant

But- all is not lost - the nice dealer (300yards from where I sit here at work) rang me this morning and said he should have his new Demo/Black fuelled and ready this Thursday, he would ride it here to me to see what I think.. :mfclap

So - I've searched and read virtually everything on this website and some more over the weekend about the GTR, boy it seems so nice!!!

So - it's a matter of time now...:crazyloco

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The fun begins....

Took one for a test ride today, not a long one, but I don't think I needed one to convince me the GTR is going to be one nice ride!!:mfclap

I did notice a bit of wind about the head but it was blowing a gale around me today despite the hot start to the day (about 30C at 11am, then about 18C by 3PM!!).
I found the GTR to be so light & easy immediately it started rolling off, I am used to the GS1150, so the size wasn't an issue.
After a few minutes of clutch/throttle/power assimilation I found myself taking in the array of buttons and instrument output...most easy in slow traffic before I hit a freeway and immediately overtook 2 slow cars in front of me, brilliant power:crazyloco !!! Cruised at 120kmh (80mph?) I started playing with the buttons, the screen...doing things that seem relevant at the time...:headscratch

anyway... Guess who's hooked!!!???:scared :rotflmao

I'll be going for BLACK, although the silver was neat, clean - it didn't do it for me... and seeing another black on in the shop it looked so nice!!

Now all I have to do is work on my local dealer to pay me too much for my GS1150... would be nice, a 3 minute walk from work to the Kawa shop!

here's the test unit, that huge pipe was rather prominent, but it's unique in a stylish sort of way??

Oh - thanks to the good info here I found the foam bits on the RH lower fairing were loose and told the shop owner the fix, definitely pours out heat when they're open! But, other than that the heat was hardly an issue, the lifting on the centre stand (a few times) was so easy, and although I'm only 5'6' with a 30" inseam, coming down off the GS1150 I found the GTR to be much easier to stop/foot down!
:rofl :rofl

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Black One Chosen!!!!!

Well.. a (mentally) busy day today.

went early and did another ride, this time on a Black one, looks so nice in the sun, did about 10km, gave it a squirt, most impressed.. such a balanced and, (if it's the right word), refined feeling I got.
again, it was a little 'different' after hopping off a GS1150, but on the return run I really felt at home.
Got a trade valuation, very nice - top dollar for the BMW. with that I went to my (closer) dealer, and they TOPPED it, couldn't resist-tomorrow may never come!!:eek:hno
Put a deposit down to hold the black one they have on the floor - I'm riding my Gilera up the coast for a 10days this week, so I didn't want the GTR in the garage - I wouldn't resist taking it instead:lol

so, it's done - in 2 or so weeks I'll have my black beast!

I think a radiator guard, taller screen and not too long for a new pipe... not much else they'd need... maybe some youth-pills, a map and a few weeks off:crazyloco :crazyloco

now my right hand's got a new partner:crackup

now I can relax - thanks again to you guys for the (forum) input on the GTR, added confidence to the choice, soon I'll be enjoying the summer on the new baby!!
:mfclap
Pete

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pete,
Where in OZ are you? I am in Brisbane. I picked mine up last saturday and was told there are no more in stock so you have done well. Black is THE color! There are Two Brothers mufflers in stock in WA if you are interested. Just under $900.

Mark

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
:scared , $900.... didn't expect them to be cheap :lol

won't be in a hurry for the pipe... (i say that now:lol ) I'll probably miss the heated grips and hand-guards in winter... wander what the GTR would look like with hand-guards?:crackup

well, 5 years ago I got the BM, started a spending spree on all things nice.... so here we go again:mfclap

Seems there's a few black ones in Sydney, one in each (of the 3) dealers I visited - yeah - my first black bike! looks so nice in the sun!

With the (std) screen, if I lower my head about 2 inches I'm in virtual silence, would that mean if I get a 2" or more taller screen, it would give those results???

can't wait to take the Gilera into the countryside for the next week or so, I'll be getting so excited if I stayed here, well I'd have the GTR now if I were staying:tard

Has anyone used PIAA bulbs instead of the standard headlight bulbs?? I know PIAA make some fantastic lights, a mate uses h4/PIAA bulbs in his 4x4, the difference is worlds apart!! (with no added heat)

too many questions:rofl

:crazyloco

PS, I'm SW of Sydney, near the M5 tollgates.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi pete..enjoy your new GTR. I own one of the previous generation..don't ride it much though. My caustic personality dictates I must ride a sportbike..but the GTR1400 appears to fit multiple roles quite well..much as my ZZ-R1200 does now, although not the touring part as well as the NEW GTR. Who knows, at some point I may decide to join you and trade three of my bikes [but not the ZX9R] for a silver one.

About the bulbs/Iodes..try Nokia's Arctic white or purple 7000 series.. you'll find them to be superior to anythingh PIAA offers..at a far lower price as well. After discovering the brand some 3 years ago, I now have them in all 7 of my vehicles..both 2 and 4 wheeled...and still on those first sets too.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi pete..enjoy your new GTR. I own one of the previous generation..don't ride it much though. My caustic personality dictates I must ride a sportbike..but the GTR1400 appears to fit multiple roles quite well..much as my ZZ-R1200 does now, although not the touring part as well as the NEW GTR. Who knows, at some point I may decide to join you and trade three of my bikes [but not the ZX9R] for a silver one.

About the bulbs/Iodes..try Nokia's Arctic white or purple 7000 series.. you'll find them to be superior to anythingh PIAA offers..at a far lower price as well. After discovering the brand some 3 years ago, I now have them in all 7 of my vehicles..both 2 and 4 wheeled...and still on those first sets too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PC-stutter:lol :headscratch

I can't find anyone here who deals in those bulbs (it's nokya I noticed too), but I have contacts with PIAA which can be useful at times, and at my work I might have some options as well.

I see the lights are, apparently, more than adequate in standard form - so I might not rush the bulbs - more so secure the adjustment knobs no doubt:lol

Always good to know the alternatives, thanks fast911ray!:thumbup
Always good to know the alternatives, thanks fast911ray!:thumbup
:rotflmao

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for the correction Pete. I almost always do that...silly me.
If you give me the number I can get them for you..or just arrange drop shipment from the importer, directly to you. Typically they sell for around $20.00USD...[which now probably equals 15 cents Aus] here in N.A. Just send a PM.:smile

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got it... so happy!!

Was so tired yesterday, after my first 400km ride on the new GTR, especially after returning the day before from a 1950km scooter journey (500 Gilera), but I was so happy in picking up the GTR I needed to put some miles on it and get used to it... wow - that didn't take long:rotflmao

It's bloody brilliant, amazing front brakes, but the rear brake doesn't seem to have much impact at all, but it stops/slows brilliantly!!
Sticking to lower revs (when I looked:evil ) seemed to be more than enough during this early stage... found it very easy to move around at low speeds, despite my 5'6" and short legs... even pulled up in sand at one point:eek:hno but got out without a drama...

A little hot on the right side, noticed the typically loose foam piece didn't seem to be refitted properly - will recheck that area... but, it's new, it's hot...

Smooth, comfy, quick, responsive... geez I'm so happy...

but now it's raining, till Saturday so that gives this old fart a few days to catchup on some energy:lol and go over the bike...

very nice....now it's accessory time (well... soon..:lol )

:smile

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi pete

looks great your bike but you have a strange topcase:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :mfclap :mfclap

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi pete
looks great your bike but you have a strange topcase:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :mfclap :mfclap
:rotflmao :rotflmao
The helmet is in the "evaporative position", I had just crossed a river ferry in full sun and started to MELT:rotflmao , so I stopped on the other side and stripped to dry me up a bit (the sun cooked me, not the hot engine:scared )

yeah, it's hot alright!!! goes like something else!!! I haven't had a 'fast bike' for 5 years, as nice as the BMW was, but this brings back sweet memories...best hang onto my license now:eek:hno
:rotflmao :rotflmao

it's bloody raining down here now till Saturday!!! so I'm buffing the shine and checking things out (reading the exciting owners manual:lol )...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts