Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bummer..... still, this is the only one I have heard of, so I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.....

Posted on the COG C14 sub-forum yesterday:

Looks like that rear end noise ended up being the rear end going south. Was in Dahlonega GA coming home Sunday and the rear end let go. I guess I should have taken pictures but the rear pivot bearing looks to have disinagrated. The rear of the bike then hit the pavement and the rear wheel the canted to one side thus throwing me to the ground. This happening at 1430 miles. I got a room and called Georgia South Kawasaki that Monday morning. They were nice enough to come get the bike and take me to the airport to come home. They seem to think it was a flaw from the factory in the set-up of the rear end. Thank god I was not going fast at the time. They estimate 2-3 weeks repair time. I have owned many Kawasakis before and never had these kind of problems. Will let you know what they say. My camera was broken or I would have taken pics. You guys would not believe the damage to the the rear.

·
Registered
90 Posts
:eek:hno :eek:hno :eek:hno

Nah, I'm not too worried about it. :smile

·
Registered
93 Posts
rear end

I have to admire your loyalty and understanding towards Kawasaki. I would mosst definataly not been so. If I had no camera I would have bought one and had the bike inspected independantly before giving it back to the Kawasaki agent.You could have been seriously hurt or worse.I at least would want a new bike with that much damage and would not want it back repaired. These things way a tonne and who knows what unsean damage there is. You paid the price they wanted and you expect the support you are paying for from Kawasaki when something goes wrong. Don't let them palm you off. This could be the start of many. Let us know what happens. Good luck.:angry

·
Registered
215 Posts
Wow

I have had shaft driven bikes for ever and never heard of any such thing, what caused it? Did you have the correct oil in dif and level?Oh ok pivot point I see now. New thing in shafties. Going to check mine right now. Ok just checked all torque tensions and tolerances and all are within manufacturers perameters. Must be a freak thing, would like to know more, keep us posted as to cause etc.

·
Registered
98 Posts
May be a hoax

This is a bummer..... still, this is the only one I have heard of, so I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.....

Posted on the COG C14 sub-forum yesterday:
Don't know for what reason, but appears to be a hoax on the final drive problem. There is no Georgia South Kawasaki dealer that the guy claims to have contacted and nobody with Kawasaki from Georgia to California knows of the problem. If the guy's claims are false, I'd sure like to know the motive.:headscratch

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't know for what reason, but appears to be a hoax on the final drive problem. There is no Georgia South Kawasaki dealer that the guy claims to have contacted and nobody with Kawasaki from Georgia to California knows of the problem. If the guy's claims are false, I'd sure like to know the motive.:headscratch

Man, if this is a hoax then it's just another fine abuse of freedom.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It was a hoax as no parts have been ordred in US to replace so called problem and no South Georgia Kawasaki dealer exists. ZX14 had a similar ruse regarding frame breakage. Some people get off on this stuff, probably other Japanese maufactuers or agents....

·
Registered
261 Posts
It was a HOAX as no parts have been ordred in US to replace so called problem and no South Georgia Kawasaki dealer exists. ZX14 had a similar ruse regarding frame breakage. Some people get off on this stuff, probably other Japanese maufactuers or agents....

+1 From everything I've read there's no proof of a bike with a failed final drive anywhere.

Realistically, I can't believe any final drive could self destruct without making huge amounts of strange noises way before it came apart. The bike is under full warranty, why would someone hear something like that starting and just keep driving it???:tard :tard :tard

I hope Kawasaki finds the clown thur his email addy and sues him for deformation of corporate character.

·
Registered
217 Posts
This may be a hoax, but read the day to day Iron Butt Rally posts on the Iron Butt Association site and there is several recorded final drive failures on BMW's new "maintenance free" rear drive that happened during this years IB Rally. Given the amount of HP that some of these machines are making and this may rear its ugly head just about anywhere... I sure hope that Kawi is not having problems. A Connie 14 may just be my next bike. But I suspect it will be a while before I wear out the ZX-11...:mfclap

·
Registered
85 Posts
This may be a hoax, but read the day to day Iron Butt Rally posts on the Iron Butt Association site and there is several recorded final drive failures on BMW's new "maintenance free" rear drive that happened during this years IB Rally. Given the amount of HP that some of these machines are making and this may rear its ugly head just about anywhere... I sure hope that Kawi is not having problems. A Connie 14 may just be my next bike. But I suspect it will be a while before I wear out the ZX-11...:mfclap
It was indeed a hoax. It turned out the guy claiming the failure didn't exist, the dealer he claimed to buy it from had only sold 2 and neither had a failure - and they never heard of him. I personally talked to the dealer in Georgia where he claimed to have taken the bike and they said there have been no FD failures.

As for the BMWs - at this years IBA, they had 40 entries with five mechanical failures causing DNFs - 3 were Final drives.

2 C-14s were entered - neither had any problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2 C-14s were entered - neither had any problems.
Actually, only one GTR1400 was entered, a "press" bike on loan to Chris Cimino. It went back to Kawasaki after the event.

The bike itself ran fine.... the only thing that Cimino mentioned was an issue for him was the serious amount of heat coming off the engine bay/frame rails (same issue many new owners also complain of). Otherwise, the bike ran fine. He said is was a pure joy in the two-lane backroads.

There was also an older Concours that Chris McGaffin (a rider from Ireland) borrowed to run the 'Butt with this year.... perhaps that's the second Connie buffgunner refers to. Chris had never been to the States before, so he was behind the curve right out of the gate. He was a DNF, sadly enough, only because he didn't acquire enough bonus points. Still, his bike ran fine the entire 11 days.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There was also an older Concours that Chris McGaffin (a rider from Ireland) borrowed to run the 'Butt with this year.... perhaps that's the second Connie buffgunner refers to. Chris had never been to the States before, so he was behind the curve right out of the gate. He was a DNF, sadly enough, only because he didn't acquire enough bonus points. Still, his bike ran fine the entire 11 days.
This was probably it. The IBR site had it listed as a C-14 - either that or I transposed a line in the noodle (could happen).
:smile

1 - 13 of 13 Posts