Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone. ive got an 01 zx9r with a full wiley co exhaust, stage one dyno jet jet kit, K&N filter and ignition advance. now the bike has just under 30k miles on it now. yesterday playing on the highway with my buddy on his busa..we were cranking...well as i was about to blow by 160...the bike started to bog down like it ran out of gas. so i got back into town...and noticed i didnt have any power after 5k rpms. i still have all my power from idle to 4 1/2k rpms...once i hit 5k or so it stumbles terrible. now i never saw any smoke comming out when this happend, oil is good and clean, antifreeze looks good...the plugs look normal..the temp is normal...my buddy mentioned it might be in a "limp mode"...i might have a bad safety switch or sensor. has anyone had this issue before, what the hell did i do to my poor bike!?!?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, i just checked my tps...all im getting for a reading is 4.9v at idle and at full throttle. so im guessing that must be my issue?

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Did you recently also modify the bike with the float-bowl mod? Going flat at 5K RPM definitely sounds like a hose popped loose.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope, i havent done the mod to my 9r...i did it to my wifes 7r. yea i had a fresh tank of fuel, the carbs are clean. it was running fine all day, then i started messing around on the interstate and thats when i lost power. if i keep "burping" the gas it'll lurch like it wants to take off...0-5k rpms it has all of its power...once its under a load or in its power band range, thats when i lose it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright, ive installed the new TPS and i have the same damn problem! im still getting 4.9 volts all the time...i've adjusted it in every direction and it STILL reads 4.9 volts... my bike still stumbles like hell under a load or above 5k rpms and at full throttle. is it possible for the ic igniter being bad? according to the service book the ic igniter controls the TPS. has anyone had this problem?? the bike does have close to 30k miles on it...and could stand to have a valve adjustment...

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
It may just be me, but I think you're looking for remote possibilities with the TPS, ignitor and such. Start with the basics and work forward when troubleshooting. The engine must be sound, must be getting the proper proportion of air and fuel as speed increases, and the float pressure equalization plumbing must be working properly to get the engine to rev over 4,500 RPM.

My old 2000 is pushing 56,000 miles. I've never had a problem with it pulling like a train when everything is as above. On the rare occasion where the bike ran like crap and wouldn't pull past a certain RPM, it was because I had not tuned it or not put things back correctly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok...ive checked the carbs...inside and out...been cleaned and synced. no vacuum lines are leaking, the carb boots are in good shape, tested for leaks..got none. the fuel pump is pumping fine, all 4 cylinders are firing...and firing perfect...no fouled plugs or what not. air filter is clean...ram air tubes are free an clear. now my bike is an 01 with 30k miles...full wiley co exhaust...stage 1 dynojet jet kit, k&n air filter, factory pro ignition advance (4 degree) now the bike was pulling like ah train, running it at WOT...was doing great till i hit 160 mph. then it acted like it someone hit the killswitch. after that it didnt have as much for power. well ive got the same amount of power as a 500 ninja...now the bike idles great...it'll redline setting in neutral...i put it in gear and it works fine as long as i dont get into the throttle...or over 5k rpms..or put it under a load..like a hill. it has every bit of power till i do one of those 3 things. then its stumbling hard. now if i get to 5k rpms...and keep burping the throttle i can get it to carry through to about 120 mph. ive never had 1 issue with this bike till now. what am i over looking?

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
The basics.

I think I mentioned this above. Check the float equalization plumbing. Something sounds unfit with it. That or you bent or burned a valve on your 160 MPH run. So two items to check, I'd think. What's cylinder compression and what could have possibly popped loose or broke in the float equalization plumbing?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea im waiting on a compression tester right now. ive tried running the bike with the choke on and it acts no different. im still not seeing anything wrong with my plumbing...but ill keep searching. its just strange to me that the bike would pull so hard then i get up there on the top and it drops in power then stumbles...

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Once you've done the compression test, we'll know whether or not we can rule cylinder compression out. RileyDeed did some simple flow drawings from a picture on the float bowl plumbing. It's in several threads on here, probably having to do with bogging at ~4,500 RPM.

Pictured is the top end of my still mostly stock E model. The hose going through the frame is the snorkel for the air scoop y-splitter tubes. Mine is a California model and comes with an additional valve box before air pressure is fed to the float bowl equalization system.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I would like to start off by saying...THANKS to everyone trying to beat it into my head that its not my TPS. now with that said....both my wifes z1k and my 9r have the same problems! now...long story short...someone dumped sugar in the tanks!....so im gonna change the filters and drain the carbs/efi and run some injector cleaner through them.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Well I would like to start off by saying...THANKS to everyone trying to beat it into my head that its not my TPS. now with that said....both my wifes z1k and my 9r have the same problems! now...long story short...someone dumped sugar in the tanks!....so im gonna change the filters and drain the carbs/efi and run some injector cleaner through them.
Whoa, wait, what??? How much bail money you need? But seriously tho, how did you come to that conclusion?

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Whoa, wait, what??? How much bail money you need? But seriously tho, how did you come to that conclusion?
+1. Would have to be someone with access to the filler cap key and with a death wish.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i live in a small town...and i leave my garage doors open and the keys in my bikes...so access was very easy. i have people around my neighborhood that dont like my bikes at all..always callin the cops for the noise or for "speeding" so theres plenty of motive around me to do it. but after tearing my 9r down completely...there was no signs of foul play...more like ethanol poisoning. i checked my carbs a month ago for dirt...last night i pulled um and really checked um out...within a month of setting, ive got dark redish brown mud like substance in my bowls. so ive cleaned them, the filter, the tank has been drained and the petcock was removed and cleaned. im going to add new fuel and ethanol treatment to it and see where that gets me. im gonna do the same to the wife z1k tomorrow as well

1 - 18 of 18 Posts