Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop said if I let them install the manual switch then the fan won't cut on automatically anymore, is this true?

How do you test the sensor on the radiator on the lower left hand side?

You can see by my questions i don't have the brains for anything other then changing the oil and riding

Muzzy has the steel fans for $35 is this an option or should i see if the switch just works. I have to drive in Philly traffic and pulling over on the side is sometimes more dangerous then going balls out on the interstate

Thanks in advance for your help with these questions

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I am assuming your engine/motor is stock? If the bike is under warranty, that radiator sensor can be checked out by the dealer. My 12R was stock, and I kept the stock cooling solution as it was for 35k miles.

That said, if you are worried about the additional cooling, the Muzzys aluminum fans are a great upgrade. If your 12R is 2002 or newer, you have two fans (the 2000-2001 years have one fan). The Muzzys aluminum fans are noiser than the stock plastic ones, but they are more effective.

If the problem is that the fans are not kicking on early enough (or at all) as you watch the temp guage rise, then maybe the manual fan switch would do the trick. I thought many 12R riders put manual fan switches that work with the automatic one.

I would check the sensor out first, find out if it is at fault. Then determine if you need more cooling or earlier cooling.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
604 Posts
+1 ....i agree, check if you sensor is working correctly, because that's what tell's your computer to turn ON the fan's for cooling.......if it's a faulty sensor than it won't start cooling at the specified time......if the sensor is good than i would suggest getting thoughs fan's that Bean's was talking about.....

About the manual fan switch......i don't think you should need one, it's a question of the sensor....if it's bad then replace it, if not than you don't have enough cooling(fan's are the problem).....i wouldn't put a manual switch on my bike.......hope that helps!!!

Good luck, keep us posted on the progress!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys

It seems allot of 12R's (the 00 and 01's) are having the same problem

I am going to install the aluminum blades and remove the Kleen air mod. Then if I still have problems, I will install a switch. I have found someone that knows how to install the switch and still have the fan cut on auto.

I had them test the sensor and they said it appears to be ok. The Fan does cut on but usually it is too late. IT seems to only really cut on after I have shut down the bike. It takes about 2min. of being off then the fan cuts on. Sounds crazy but that is how it is. It is not normally a problem as I have not been doing much city riding but that is about to change.

On a more positive note, I get my bike out of the shop today. I had the wheels polished, spokes powder coated, Scorpio alarm, hugger, and a new fairing put on.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
mrnyknicks said:
.I had them test the sensor and they said it appears to be ok. The Fan does cut on but usually it is too late. IT seems to only really cut on after I have shut down the bike. It takes about 2min. of being off then the fan cuts on. Sounds crazy but that is how it is.
That doesnt sound right. Even when I was doing city driving on my 2002 ZX-12R, I could hear the fans kick on and they were still going strong after I'd shut the bike off. The fans would stay on for a good 30seconds after the bike was shut off completely.

If your fans are kicking on two minutes after your 12R is shut down, I think you have a problem IMHO.

·
registered member
523 Posts
yes you do have a problem if they are kicking in late...

I have a manual switch, the fans should still come on by themselves when hot, switch does not overide that feature... if they do.. you have a problem!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
In did the manual fan switch mod,its real easy.Remove the left hand ram air cover and find the harness coming from the fan switch.Mine was blue and blue and white,just two wires.Run your toggle switch in parallel with the switch wires.One wire to each wire and mount switch in panel.The switch will not stop the manual and the manual will not stop the switch.The electrical path will be either or.Got help from some guys on zx12.org.The switch is not mandatory but if I had listened my bike would not have dumped my coolant when the switch went out on a bridge in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
199 Posts
impressive said:
In did the manual fan switch mod,its real easy.Remove the left hand ram air cover and find the harness coming from the fan switch.Mine was blue and blue and white,just two wires.Run your toggle switch in parallel with the switch wires.One wire to each wire and mount switch in panel.The switch will not stop the manual and the manual will not stop the switch.The electrical path will be either or.Got help from some guys on zx12.org.The switch is not mandatory but if I had listened my bike would not have dumped my coolant when the switch went out on a bridge in heavy traffic.
I did this on my 12R, but I added a relay, so forgetfull me would not walk away from the bike with the fan on, only to return to a dead battery :tard

btw, this mod made my 12R run one bar cooler during intown stop and go type ridding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts