Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
When i bought my kwaka it had a bit of fairing damage. A 'couple' of cracks, but pretty bad scrapes n scratches.
I THINK its plastic, but yeah, any advice on how to repair it?
Do the cracks need to be welded or can u just use like an indutstrial plastic glue and go over it with plastic putty or something...

·
Registered
381 Posts
There are people out there that can weld plastic but im not too sure how much it would cost, but if it is done right you will never know its been repaired.

·
Registered
201 Posts
don't use the plastic glue method on parts that are going to be visible on the outter portion of the bike it will look like crap. I would suggest looking into getting it plastic welded by a professional or if you fell up to it you probably do it yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i just bought the stuff from plastex.ca looks like it will be good, once i get and use it i will let you all know what i think :crazyloco

·
Registered
131 Posts
I too have heard that the plastex stuff works great, and can be painted over easily. I have never tried it myself, only going by others' recommendations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello i am new here,im from the netherlands so if my english sux in any way shape or form i apologize.

I ride a ZX6R 1999 and i have some experience in fixing cracks and even holes,but only if you repaint afterwards.
to melt cracks together u use a.....well.....i dont know the word for it,its the little thing electricians use to melt/solder the iron stuff i believe its tin on to a motherboard so the chips and all the other little thingy's are connected and stay in place,i believe you should know what i mean now.
I checked the dictionary,solder it says.so you solder the cracks together only without the tin, yes.

first you follow the crack with the solder thingy(lets say from top to bottom) and following on that you make lines of approximatly a half centimeter across the crack(lets say from left to right)as close together as is possible when you did that you will have something that looks like a whole lot of stitches,now you have to melt the stitches and smear 'm together like 2 or 3 stiches at a time the aim is to fill the crack and make the surface as smooth as possible.
Now this welding or solder isnt gonna be strong enough in most cases,so if possible(out of Sight) use glassfiber on the inside of the fairing you smear the resin on the fairing and on the glassfiber and put it together making sure there is no air underneath,know your fairing is strong enough and ready for filling sanding and paint.

Glassfiber rules, learn how to use it ,it will safe you loads of money.
another tip try painting yourself,spray it in multiple layers very thick, if you get drops wait long enough to make sure the paint really has hardend and then carefully sand the drips/drops with fine sanding paper p800 making sure you wont get scratches to deep to polish out if the surface is not smooth/shiny enough sand it with waterproof 1200 and polish it until it looks like a mirror.

hope i helped someone out here,if not its still time well spend practicing english ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hello i am new here,im from the netherlands so if my english sux in any way shape or form i apologize.

I ride a ZX6R 1999 and i have some experience in fixing cracks and even holes,but only if you repaint afterwards.
to melt cracks together u use a.....well.....i dont know the word for it,its the little thing electricians use to melt/solder the iron stuff i believe its tin on to a motherboard so the chips and all the other little thingy's are connected and stay in place,i believe you should know what i mean now.
I checked the dictionary,solder it says.so you solder the cracks together only without the tin, yes.

first you follow the crack with the solder thingy(lets say from top to bottom) and following on that you make lines of approximatly a half centimeter across the crack(lets say from left to right)as close together as is possible when you did that you will have something that looks like a whole lot of stitches,now you have to melt the stitches and smear 'm together like 2 or 3 stiches at a time the aim is to fill the crack and make the surface as smooth as possible.
Now this welding or solder isnt gonna be strong enough in most cases,so if possible(out of Sight) use glassfiber on the inside of the fairing you smear the resin on the fairing and on the glassfiber and put it together making sure there is no air underneath,know your fairing is strong enough and ready for filling sanding and paint.

Glassfiber rules, learn how to use it ,it will safe you loads of money.
another tip try painting yourself,spray it in multiple layers very thick, if you get drops wait long enough to make sure the paint really has hardend and then carefully sand the drips/drops with fine sanding paper p800 making sure you wont get scratches to deep to polish out if the surface is not smooth/shiny enough sand it with waterproof 1200 and polish it until it looks like a mirror.

hope i helped someone out here,if not its still time well spend practicing english ;)
I wouldn't worry, your english sounds as good as any of ours, from what I have seen! lol

·
Registered
443 Posts
Some useful info in this thread, especially for someone like myself who never new that there are a lot of options available for fixing a cracked fairing. :mfclap

·
Registered
23 Posts
Great thread

Very useful info from the netherlander! As I will be making an attempt to fix a few cracks on my upper fairing and tail fairing to prep my bike for paint. Thanks!

:crazyloco

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just recently did some repairs to my fairing using fiberglass. I actually had to rebuild a section that had a chunk taken out. I also had to fix an oops I made loading the bike into a friends truck at too steep an angle and broke the lower rear portion of the left fairing completely in half. Fiberglass on plastic isnt the best way to go but its cheap and fairly easy to work with and with a little patience and a lot of sanding you can make it look good as new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.