Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm pretty sure I'm not the Only one who would like an in depth free-for-all of knowledge on repainting fairing and tanks.

Can anyone provide any info or tips on the following? :
- peeling old decals/ninja stickers off plastic fairing
- sanding plastic
- number of layers? Types of paint? Primers?
- spraying at home vs professional painter?
- tank stripping
- does tank take different type of paint?

I realise this could be a big topic but interesting for all.
I gather this is by no means an easy project but if it gets people repairing their battered old beast then bring it on!

Thanks

· Registered
1,474 Posts
Hey man and welcome..I just woke up from nightshift.. il try my best here...but I covered all these things in my custom winter overhaul..I think..check it out

sand the clear until you get to the vinyl on the decals..heat with heat gun and razor the decal off the paint.
sanding plastic..sand it the same as anything else..
urethane paint (flexible) I went with colorrite and it turned out great..
2 primer 3 base 2 clear..it can very with what paint/color you go with
I sprayed at home with homade booth..I did better job than pro painter that did my buddys gt 500 hood..but ive painted before..soooo I imagine it your a beginer prob not as good as pro..but with practice knowlege and patience anything is possible
tank stripping..no need too..just a good sanding job finish with 800 before paint use the same paint for all aslong as it has the flex for the fairings..
like I mentioned earlier ive repaired and painted overhauled my girl and lots of info in my thread check it out for advice or see how stuff is done..hope this helps..wow i wrote that all before a coffee

· Registered
1,474 Posts
yeah man if you got any questions if you get snagged just pm me..its linked to my e-mail/berry so I can awnser pretty quick

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Best thing to do is practice on a junk part before moving to the real thing.

And I mean practice. Start with junk, good primer, good wetsanding, good clear, then a good buff/wax just for practice. Obviously don't kill yourself with a huge piece, just something small that won't cost a ton to cover.

· Registered
2000 ZX-9R sE1, 2002 ZX-9R sF1, 2000 ZX-9R E1 EVAP restore
9,886 Posts
+1 That's my prescription too, just replace what's broken. <here> I guess if I had access to a body shop I could do it myself, but alas I don't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.