Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I have a 2000 ZX11D. Stock exhaust, stock air filter.
I just installed a factory pro jet kit as follows:
set float height to 15mm as they said to do. (Was at 13mm)
installed needle at #2 position.
adjusted mixture screws to 3 turns out as they said to do.
installed their stronger slide springs.
kept stock main jets at 160/158.

These settings were based on the info that came with the the kit for a bike with stock exhaust and air filter, except I didn't put in the 162/160 main jets.
I was hoping to keep fuel mileage good.

Now it has an AWFUL dead spot at 4500rpm when steady cruising at small throttle openings. If you use more throttle, say more than 1/3, it will power through it so you can hardly notice the dead spot at all.

This dead spot is worse than when it was all stock. Any body have suggestions of what to change?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
If it was my bike and considering that it's completely stock, I would go back to stock carbs set-up but only shim the (OEM) needles and adjusting air screws at 2½~2¾ turns. Nothing else is required with a stock bike.

If you don't want to do this, in your particular case, I would first adjust air screws at 2½~2¾ turns. If it don't help your issue, then try rising the needles one notch. Let us know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did the same to my C3 and after talkinig with Factory for a bit the flat spot was gone, the power was up, and the mileage was around 43 MPG including the ocassional exceeding of the fedrally mandated speed limit ( 165 mph...whooo hoooo). I have the settings written down sonwhere...I'll try to find them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for writing, everyone. I haven't had time yet to get back into the bike. I'll let you know how it gets resolved. Purple Flame, if you can find your settings, that'd be great.

So far, I think I'll try raising the needles up to #3 first since that is the easiest thing to do, also I'm going to adjust the mixture screws

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I decided to make one change at a time, so I raised the needles to the #3 position only.

Now it runs great! The flat spot is gone. I can't say if it's perfect in all situations yet, so I may still adjust the mixture screws. But now it is good enough.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
As you already know, raising the needles will help. However, the needles are "working" on a wide span of RPM which you also enrichened the mixture on a wide span.

Air screws "work" on a tighter span of RPM and could help for your flat spot without richening the powerband everywhere. Thta's why I suggested to adjust the air screws first.

Being too rich is not a huge problem but it "soften" a bit the power delivery (tame it down slightly) and affect MPG too...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts