Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all i recently purchased a 96'zx6r was totally in peices, but myself and dad built it back up and got it running fine, i booked a track day (my very forst one on a bike) but had to cancel ot today as the bike would not start.

I had it running last night and after a few minutes it just died, no spluttering nothing.

Intried to start it again but it wouldn't even turn over. Now its very tempromental sometimes it turns over somtimes it doesnt.
I belive its a dodgy connection at the IG switch because when i shake it about abit it does eventually turn over however ir still just will not start,

Im not 100% mechanically minded but have a good idea about most stuff,
Any ideas what this could be??

Many thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi,
It does sound like a Dodgy Ignition switch, First thing I would do is pull it and inspect for a loose wire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wilk do that now would that kill the engine while running and now allow itnto turn over and not start?

Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
If the fault lies with the switched live then it would be like you switching the ignition off and no it wouldn't start until the connection is made..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you will gwt on that today once o get past this rounded screw ofcourse 😔
Will post the results

Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
They are Anti Tamper Screws and best removed by drilling or taping undone with a very sharp center punch.
Best to remove the top yolk it makes it way easier but you can inspect with the top yolk off with the switch still fastened in.

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
I would check the plug under the tank before removing the ignition switch. Check the simple things first. If the connections at the plug are corroded or partially/ fully broken, you will have issues.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I thought of that but discounted due to them building the Bike from parts so assumed the plug was good otherwise they would of noticed but worth a check (y) Assumption does not always turn out well :(

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Have you pulled the carbs and completely cleaned them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i got it started but died with any revs, left it a few days albeit in the cold, now it soubds like it wants to start but wont could it be thw carbs still

1 - 11 of 11 Posts