Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on & used the stuff & or has heard horror stories of using Exhaust Thermal wrap.

I am thinking before summer hits hard with her heat, that the ZX14 would benefit greatly if I were to wrap all the exhaust pipes (from the motor to the beginning of the stock cans). I want to use DEI's Black Thermal Exhaust wrap and as they suggest coat the wrapping with that spray on silicone stuff.

My only concern is that if the stock exhaust tubes will take the extra trapped heat.
(I assume they will, but figured I would ask in this forum if anyone has heard anything bad about exhaust wraps, or has any comments on its use).

Ted:evil

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on & used the stuff & or has heard horror stories of using Exhaust Thermal wrap.

I am thinking before summer hits hard with her heat, that the ZX14 would benefit greatly if I were to wrap all the exhaust pipes (from the motor to the beginning of the stock cans). I want to use DEI's Black Thermal Exhaust wrap and as they suggest coat the wrapping with that spray on silicone stuff.

My only concern is that if the stock exhaust tubes will take the extra trapped heat.
(I assume they will, but figured I would ask in this forum if anyone has heard anything bad about exhaust wraps, or has any comments on its use).

Ted:evil
I use it on my exhaust on my MKIV Supra, on the down pipe, works excellent , but its ugly out in the open. My pipes are ceramic coated I'd be worried about them rusting with a bike.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I wll try the coating method...after I decide on the aftermarket exhaust kit and cans I will stick on the Zx14.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I used DEI black wrap on my stainless Muzzy pipe on my 12r with no adverse effect. They didn't melt down, they didn't burn out, they didn't sag, they were cooler on my feet. I wrapped my Yosh s/s system on my 12 R with wrap also with the exact same results. I would not hesitate wrapping the oem pipe on a 14 as long as I knew the head pipes are s/s.
I have read posts form guys that have tried the ceramic coatings and also the wrap and have reported that the wrap kept their feet far cooler than the coating.
As far as the concern about rust, s/s doesnt rust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts