Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my material...Cool-It's Copper based thermal exhaust wrap, black thermal spray and metal zip ties.
I will try and remove my exhaust pipes without having to remove the radiator system (hope I have just enough room).
I will wrap up the 4 primary tubes, colllector and y-pipe only for starts to see how much bebefit is will have on things. I mainly want to reduce the hot air blowing over my plastics and when I wear shorts, have less hell-ish air blow over my shins...(ouch).

Price of gas to and from the auto store: $2.50
Price of thermal exhaust materials so far: $50.00
The permanent scar on my leg from ultra hot exhaust can: $priceless$ :rotflmao

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I went and did it and installed Exhaust wraps. I had to remove the radiator to get at all the bolts off the exhaust header pipes. Once removed, I sprayed them with special Black Thermal Spray, then wrapped them in special Black and Copper based thermal wrappings. I wrapped from the beginning of the header to the start of the large round portion of the y-pipe only then after they were all wrapped I sprayed more black thermal spray on them.
So here are my findings and thoughts for what there worth to anyone else.
I did this wrap install to try and decrease the hot temp air flow that was hitting my kegs (when I were shorts). So far the only benefit I see from my my install comes when I shut down the bike. It truly is much cooler in the header header area when the bike is turned off. I also notice that when my legs (while wearing shorts) hit the corner of the muffler can burn much quicker, so the ouch factor is up on the cans which means more heat is being trapped in the pipes than before. I only wish my IR Laser temp measurement device was able to read above 500 degrees. I could not get any temp measurements on the first 12 inches of header pipe before or after the install of the material. Over all for the effort and cost I am uncertain if it was worth it.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Ted, you're close, but didn't quite hit it. Without getting too much into the physics of gas flow, the purpose of the wrap is to keep the heat in the headpipes as opposed to having it 'leak out' through convection into the atmosphere (and onto your legs). The theory is that hot gas is less dense than cold gas, and as such tends to flow much faster than colder exhaust gas that has had the opportunity to cool (though ever so slightly) through thermal leakage. This quicker flowing gas then operates like a reverse supercharger and draws the much colder (and denser) fuel/air mix into the combustion chambers, much like a partial vacuum. The upside is a bit more power (as you're potentially burning a bit more fuel), cooler temps under the bodywork (as the wrap is keeping the heat in the pipes), and a bit less harmonic vibration in the header pipes (which sometimes leads to weld failure). The downside, as you found out, is that the heat begins to 'leak out' farther down the line, in the can, and can be the cause of some blueing at the junction of the can and the pipe. It can't be helped. All in all, I've found that the results are well worth the hassle of installation, as I've just done the same with my ZX1100E GPz. My wrap came from DEI, the installation was messy, as it's recommended that you wet the wrap before installation (for a tighter fit), but not too difficult. I'd do it again, and will most likely be wrapping my bro-in-law's ZX10 soon. Ride on!

DW

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ted, you're close, but didn't quite hit it. Without getting too much into the physics of gas flow, the purpose of the wrap is to keep the heat in the headpipes as opposed to having it 'leak out' through convection into the atmosphere (and onto your legs). The theory is that hot gas is less dense than cold gas, and as such tends to flow much faster than colder exhaust gas that has had the opportunity to cool (though ever so slightly) through thermal leakage. This quicker flowing gas then operates like a reverse supercharger and draws the much colder (and denser) fuel/air mix into the combustion chambers, much like a partial vacuum. The upside is a bit more power (as you're potentially burning a bit more fuel), cooler temps under the bodywork (as the wrap is keeping the heat in the pipes), and a bit less harmonic vibration in the header pipes (which sometimes leads to weld failure). The downside, as you found out, is that the heat begins to 'leak out' farther down the line, in the can, and can be the cause of some blueing at the junction of the can and the pipe. It can't be helped. All in all, I've found that the results are well worth the hassle of installation, as I've just done the same with my ZX1100E GPz. My wrap came from DEI, the installation was messy, as it's recommended that you wet the wrap before installation (for a tighter fit), but not too difficult. I'd do it again, and will most likely be wrapping my bro-in-law's ZX10 soon. Ride on!

DW
Thanks the the extra data. I already understood before as to the true use of why exhaust wraps are used on exhaust pipes..My main intent as I stated was to try and drop the temps of the hot air flowing across my shins; of which they did not do as I thought they might. It may very well be that they also provided some better exhaust gas scavenging on my bike, but since my bike is stock in most ways, unless I change the pipes & mapping, the bike wont give me more fuel to burn just because I added the wraps. At least not on my stock zx14...

·
Registered
57 Posts
wow Dragonwing... that's a great explanation! techincal enough to get all the details, but not overly technical, so I can still understand it

if this board had a points system, i'd give you a vote for that post :) thanks

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Thanks. Just did a little reading before I undertook the job. I kinda like to know the 'why' of doing something before I undertake the 'what.' Glad I could add something.

DW

·
Registered
71 Posts
Shorts

Thanks the the extra data. I already understood before as to the true use of why exhaust wraps are used on exhaust pipes..My main intent as I stated was to try and drop the temps of the hot air flowing across my shins; of which they did not do as I thought they might. It may very well be that they also provided some better exhaust gas scavenging on my bike, but since my bike is stock in most ways, unless I change the pipes & mapping, the bike wont give me more fuel to burn just because I added the wraps. At least not on my stock zx14...
I know how you can stop the flow of hot air across your shins.......
WEAR SOME FRIGGIN LEATHERS!!!!
I'm down here in TX and it gets hot here as you all know, but I still wear my leathers.
I was driving my kids back from the zoo and just happened to be the first one on the scene of a motorcycle accident. This young soldier (also a Squid) was doing the speed limit, 65mph, on his first street bike which happened to be a GSXR 1000! Long story short...... he was wearing shorts, low top shoes, t-shirt, helmet, and no gloves. the accident wasn't his fault, but all of his injuries were!!! Serious road rash on his hip, down to the bone! Both hands really bad, back, etc... The only thing that wasn't scraped up was his head.

What I'm trying to say is..... IF YOU ARE TRYING TO PUT HEAT WRAP ON YOUR BIKE BECAUSE YOU WANT TO PROTECT YOUR BARE LEGS FROM THE HEAT....
YOU'RE AN IDIOT IN THE FIRST PLACE! IF YOU WEAR THE PROPER RIDING GEAR, YOU'LL NEVER HAVE THAT PROBLEM, NOR THE ONE I JUST TALKED ABOUT!!!! :angry

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm down here in TX and it gets hot here as you all know, but I still wear my leathers.
I was driving my kids back from the zoo and just happened to be the first one on the scene of a motorcycle accident. This young soldier (also a Squid) was doing the speed limit, 65mph, on his first street bike which happened to be a GSXR 1000! Long story short...... he was wearing shorts, low top shoes, t-shirt, helmet, and no gloves. the accident wasn't his fault, but all of his injuries were!!! Serious road rash on his hip, down to the bone! Both hands really bad, back, etc... The only thing that wasn't scraped up was his head.

What I'm trying to say is..... IF YOU ARE TRYING TO PUT HEAT WRAP ON YOUR BIKE BECAUSE YOU WANT TO PROTECT YOUR BARE LEGS FROM THE HEAT....
YOU'RE AN IDIOT IN THE FIRST PLACE! IF YOU WEAR THE PROPER RIDING GEAR, YOU'LL NEVER HAVE THAT PROBLEM, NOR THE ONE I JUST TALKED ABOUT!!!! :angry
+1

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I quote vulture "the accident wasn't his fault, but all of his injuries were".
I am amazed to read this since I was being called an idiot, "for wearing shorts in stead of leathers". Dont get me wrong, I understand that full leathers with protective grind gear in them will save much meat from being eating away by the pavement goddess.

I new when I bought my bike when I get on this machine my life expectancy drops a whole bunch. Its a calculated risk, such as most things in life are.
But in reading your statements, if I get hit by someone, then the accident is not my fault....(your the idiot)...:clap

See you in hell my fellow rider....

anyway...back to some real usefull data...which is what my posting was all about.
So far the exhaust wraps hold up well to being watered down when I wash the zx off and that initial smell that they caused has decresed completely.
its time to upgrade to some CF or leather covered muffler cans now..(or would leather covered muffler cans be an idiotic choice)...ha ha...

thats all folks...:nana

TerribleTed

·
Registered
71 Posts
I quote vulture "the accident wasn't his fault, but all of his injuries were".
I am amazed to read this since I was being called an idiot, "for wearing shorts in stead of leathers". Dont get me wrong, I understand that full leathers with protective grind gear in them will save much meat from being eating away by the pavement goddess.

I new when I bought my bike when I get on this machine my life expectancy drops a whole bunch. Its a calculated risk, such as most things in life are.
But in reading your statements, if I get hit by someone, then the accident is not my fault....(your the idiot)...:clap

See you in hell my fellow rider....

anyway...back to some real usefull data...which is what my posting was all about.
So far the exhaust wraps hold up well to being watered down when I wash the zx off and that initial smell that they caused has decresed completely.
its time to upgrade to some CF or leather covered muffler cans now..(or would leather covered muffler cans be an idiotic choice)...ha ha...

thats all folks...:nana

TerribleTed
Well "TT"...
I guess you're lacking in the "reading/Comprehension" department. He could have walked away from the accident without a scratch had he been wearing the proper gear, but I guess he should have just wraped his header with heat wrap so his legs (in shorts) wouldn't be hot on his way to the accident.:clap

Your "I'm invincible, I don't need gear " riding attitude is one of the main causes of "Safety consious" riders' insurance rates going up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.