Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 ZX750R-F2
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've got a quick couple exhaust questions if anyone can help that would be great.
So I have a 1988 ZX750R f2 and at this moment I have full stock exhaust from front to back. But I also have a 4-1 used system on its way. So I am looking at putting a slip on carbon exhaust on. So my questions for anyone who can answer them for me is.

Which would be better Stock exhaust system or 4-1 system with a carbon slip on?

And my next question is I know there is alot of pros and cons with stubby's and long pipes.
So if I go with stock system I have a pretty good idea on what size of slip on I should go with.
But If I go 4-1 system I know I already have more back pressure as it is would I go with more of a shorty?
I don't wanna loose my high end hp nor do I wanna loose any of my low end torque. Just trying to figure out which would be best.
Any advice again would be great thanks guys.
Happy riding and ride safe

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Usually with a 4-1 you will gain top end HP but sacrifice low-mid. As for shorty cans, it seems to be a current styling trend with no real performance gains.
It all depends on what you are looking for in the end. HP? Looks? Daily rideability?

·
Registered
88 ZX750R-F2
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I was reading a shorty gives you more low end vs a longer slip on gives you more top end hp. As a shorty is louder than a longer one. I know the 4-1 is more of your racing style that will in terms give you more top end Wich is perfect with me. I just don't want to loose that new top end power but I'd still like to have my low end torque with my mid range daily driveability.
Will I need to jet my bike as well putting the 4-1 on?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Any change to the exhaust side will require balancing the air/fuel on the intake side. Slip on pipes don't change much, since it is at the end of the line. A full exhaust with header changes alot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If u get the wrong exhaust u can lose everywhere, w the correct exhaust u can gain everywhere. Stock exhaust and jetting is designed to keep the politicians happy. If u put a pipe on And rejet ur carbs u will gain about everywhere except mpgs. But sometimes even there.

Ive experimented a bit w a couple of mine, my ZX11E i picked up w a broken muffler (4-2-1 header) w no muffler it was sluggish til about 8k and then it would stretch ur arms, once i fixed the muffler it had low/mid but above 8k it kinda got lazy. With my 1981 xs1100 i went thru about 13 sets of pipes (custom) before i was happy w how it worked. Ended up w 1-3/4" singles run to the rear axle w a 30 degree slash cut in em. When they were flat (uncut) u could feel the powerband "step" every 2k rpm. W the slash it blended and smoothed the powerband. Id routinely shift that at 11k. And w my jetting it gained power and torque everywhere. But it also gets about 30mpg when im running 70mph. @50mph it gets about 45 mpg. U wont usually have those extremes w aftermarket pieces tho

1 - 5 of 5 Posts