Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I had this idea of taking the muffler of my ride (01Ninja ZX6) all together and making a side exit Y pipe. Does anyone know if such a setup would be legal?

·
Registered
676 Posts
depends on where you live. in CA you would probably get pulled over pretty quickly. where i live (Mississippi) no one seems to care. no smog testing, driver tests are a joke, and you could run open headers if you want. its annoying, but hey, its nice to have that freedom.

just check with your local DMV or police...they should have some answers for you.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust have to be listed or stamped with D.O.T to be considered legal.
anything else without a DOT stamp is considered off road use only.

Different state, different city, different counties have its own ordnance codes with noise and a cops discrecion on what they believe is grounds to pull you over for illegal modifications. If its not worth their time, they will not pull you over for it. If they are bored and in need to reach their quota, hopefully you are not next to them. Some states have no written rule on exhaust prohibiting state police or highway patrol from giving you a ticket but once you get into a specific city limit on that state or county law enforcement can give a ticket based on their boundary rules.
So to answer your question.. it depends on your exact GPS locatoin, it could be legal 5 feet and illegal when you step 5 feet back ;)

but in california, starting jan 1 2013 all motorcycles built year 2013 and later needs to have an EPA stamp on exhaust STATEWIDE.
Senate bill 435 signed by governor Schwarzenegger with a $100 fine for first offense, $250 for second, and considered a class C misdemeaneor after.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If they are bored and in need to reach their quota, hopefully you are not next to them.
Quotas in law enforcement are illegal. i wish people would quit saying cops have to meet a quota...

and thank goodness i live in a place where no one cares :rofl i miss Cali (weather, mostly) but hate to see the place it has become.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Quotas in law enforcement are illegal. i wish people would quit saying cops have to meet a quota...

and thank goodness i live in a place where no one cares :rofl i miss Cali (weather, mostly) but hate to see the place it has become.
you are actually correct the word QUOTA is illegal in law enforcement now.. and police departments have to deny they exist.
these days.. its offically called PERFORMANCE REVIEW. but how do they review performance? uhmmmm QUOTA!
Police officers get memo's on their performance based on their summons. (summons as in their court appearances) how do they get more court apperance? uhmm. give lots of tickets. or be a supercop and catch lots of bad guys red handed.
But of course that doesnt mean they just have to give random tickets, they get reviewed by the courts judgement a little too much dismissed cases can cause poor performance.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
As a police officer I can say I do not have to write a single ticket ever. NOW with that said I am not a state police officer they have to write something like 5 a day, this is fact.

As far as your exhaust if it were say 3 am and you come rolling by me and I am in a residential area you can bet your ass I will write you. I have a 3 year old and I get pissed when the load Honda Civic rolls by and wakes him up.

·
Registered
888 Posts
As a police officer I can say I do not have to write a single ticket ever. NOW with that said I am not a state police officer they have to write something like 5 a day, this is fact.

As far as your exhaust if it were say 3 am and you come rolling by me and I am in a residential area you can bet your ass I will write you. I have a 3 year old and I get pissed when the load Honda Civic rolls by and wakes him up.
5 a day seems like an aweful thing most likely not true. in most states you go by docket availabilty. No cop wants to write 5 ticket that ends up as a court case every 2 hours in court in a single day. Most officers give people breaks if the docket is full for months and the next availalbe lands on their dayoff, birthday, kids birthday, etc. :crackup

And QUOTAS! ahem i mean performance points are created depending on where you work to prevent police officers from constantly going home and taking naps hanging out with his friends showing off or just.

if you really are a cop and your department doesnt require a PATROL officer to write a ticket, then thats just room for abuse unless of course your a detective? high ranking official? assigned in gang unit or burglary? auto theft task force. its true not all officers are tracked by points, its their supervisor that is

CHP in california have no quota but it is mentioned if an officers tickets are on the low side per month, and mentioning is basically pressuring them to write the tickets. so i still call it quota. :) so if you come across a CHP who's been assigned way too many times parked at a contstruction zone, you bet they will give you a ticket if they catch you with just 5mph or a loud exhaust or other minor violations any chance they get.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The answer is simple: In Colorado, you leave it the Hell alone!

§ 42-4-225. Mufflers - prevention of noise

(1) Every motor vehicle subject to registration and operated on a highway shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-off, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all of the requirements of this section.

DW

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
5 a day seems like an aweful thing most likely not true. in most states you go by docket availabilty. No cop wants to write 5 ticket that ends up as a court case every 2 hours in court in a single day. Most officers give people breaks if the docket is full for months and the next availalbe lands on their dayoff, birthday, kids birthday, etc. :crackup

And QUOTAS! ahem i mean performance points are created depending on where you work to prevent police officers from constantly going home and taking naps hanging out with his friends showing off or just.

if you really are a cop and your department doesnt require a PATROL officer to write a ticket, then thats just room for abuse unless of course your a detective? high ranking official? assigned in gang unit or burglary? auto theft task force. its true not all officers are tracked by points, its their supervisor that is

CHP in california have no quota but it is mentioned if an officers tickets are on the low side per month, and mentioning is basically pressuring them to write the tickets. so i still call it quota. :) so if you come across a CHP who's been assigned way too many times parked at a contstruction zone, you bet they will give you a ticket if they catch you with just 5mph or a loud exhaust or other minor violations any chance they get.
Cab, its well known that he's a cop.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
You said "if you really are..."

I was affirming it.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Boom! Headshot!
Killing Spree!
Running Riot!
Killtacular!
I'M BATMAN!!!

Skip to 1:20 and watch from there.

·
Registered
888 Posts
yeah well, i happen to be in a profession where i dont trust peoples words but rather look on what the background check says.

and NO.. IM BATMAN!

no offense to the peace officer on here but if i see someone claiming to be an officer on a public forums, put in once to have a criminal conviction as an adult, doesnt like the justice system, calls a target practice "pistol practice" and calls a patrol car/squad car a cop car, then it's grounds for the benefit of doubt. Im not saying he's not who he claims he is, he very well could be one but its really not my business unless people act on impersonating a peace officer. otherwise anybody can say they are anybody like president, CIA, FBI, WTF, LOL, DMV....

anyways.. lets get back to exhaust legality discussion.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
really is different from state to state/county to county

so in ohio, its illegal to tamper with the stock exhaust system even making a slipon illegal.

in VA. slipon is legal and nobody will bother you as long as its visible as a muffler.

46.2-1047.

It shall be unlawful to sell or offer for sale any (i) muffler without interior baffle plates or other effective muffling device or (ii) gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate on the highways in the Commonwealth a motor vehicle, moped, or motorized skateboard or scooter equipped with a gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust.

(Code 1950, § 46-306; 1950, p. 54; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-302; 1964, c. 628; 1989, c. 727; 2006, cc. 529, 538.)

and im yet to see a state or city ordnance code that allows pipe cutouts, so until i do. i would say its ILLEGAL OP

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
If the DB'as are between the limits, below 75 at idle, and 95 at 9,000 rpms, you're ok. That's what is measured.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts