Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wonder no more.

Here is the ignition map for coil 1 but all 4 coils are the same.

Here is the base fuel map for injector 1. These maps vary slightly between cylinders.

Eventually it will display the ignition data as Degrees BTDC and by this summer I hope to actually be able to use this software to reprogram the ECUs, but for now its just eye candy.

I suppose it might be of interest to some of you PCIII guys to know what base your adding or subtracting from. Also I noticed that half of the one map is just for the first 10% of throttle travel. The bike idles at 20% and the first half of the map only covers 20-31%.

You can download the Enginuity software and ZX-12 map file at the link belowe if you want to play with it yourself. It does those cool 3d topo maps too.

Map File Downloads

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice work RR:) I do not understand how the bike idles at 20% when the pc3 says that the throttle position is 0, and looking at the throttle it is resting on the idle speed set screw, which is only a turn or two from having the plates completely closed. What dont I know about this?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ECU reads the throttle position as a voltage from the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) which is basically just a variable resistor or potentiometer, like a volume control knob, with +5V on one end, ground on the other end and a center wire with a voltage that varies between +5V and Gnd as you twist the throttle.

The throttle position in the maps above is measured as a % of 5 volts. The first map throttle column is 21.5%. 21.5% of 5V is 1.075 volts. The ZX-12 shop manual tells you to adjust the idle TPS output voltage to something like 1.079 to 1.083 volts. Allowing for around a 0.005V drop in the voltage getting it through the wires and connectors between the TPS and the ECU circuit board the manual is telling you to adjust it for the first map throttle zone.

Remember all the threads way back when discussing how important it was to set the TPS voltage just right? Now we know why it is so important. Set it too low and you fall off the map while the next zone above idle is 21.9% (1.095V), just 0.4% (0.02V) above the idle setting.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That is the part I was missing, % of voltage. I was thinking % of throttle travel, stupid me!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, time flies. I ran across this thread in a google search. I can't believe I've been working on this project for over a year and a half now.

To update those of you who don't make it over to 'that other site' I have figured out how to reprogram the 2000-2003 ZX-12 ECUs. There is an actual bike out there running a modified ECU.

Of course knowing HOW to change the maps is very different from knowing WHAT to change. So far the easy stuff has been figured out like upping the rev limit, getting rid of the speed limit and changing the ignition timing. The fuel maps are going to take someone actually putting a modified ECU on a dyno and playing with it.

Also as it turns out the same method of reprogramming works with '99-'01 Hayabusa ECUs too. If you'd like to know more check out.

http://www.bikeland.info

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow, time flies. I ran across this thread in a google search. I can't believe I've been working on this project for over a year and a half now.

To update those of you who don't make it over to 'that other site' I have figured out how to reprogram the 2000-2003 ZX-12 ECUs. There is an actual bike out there running a modified ECU.

Of course knowing HOW to change the maps is very different from knowing WHAT to change. So far the easy stuff has been figured out like upping the rev limit, getting rid of the speed limit and changing the ignition timing. The fuel maps are going to take someone actually putting a modified ECU on a dyno and playing with it.

Also as it turns out the same method of reprogramming works with '99-'01 Hayabusa ECUs too. If you'd like to know more check out.

http://www.bikeland.info
RidgeRacer,

Loved your thread over on LAB. Great stuff and thanks for sharing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts