Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
that happened to me on a 300 mile trip from philly to OC, maryland and nothing has gone wrong yet

·
Registered
14 Posts
ive done it before too, it was like the first day riding my bike and i though i could go farther than i did, i ran out of gas down the road from my friends house so we just pushed it to his house and i took his car and got gas, the funny thing is that two days earlier i ran out of gas in my car near his house so he drove by and threw a gas can out the window at like fourty and kept going

·
Registered
14 Posts
but too answer the question if it hurt my bike or not the answer would be no because it seems like the fuel pumps are real low out put ones because of the gravity feed so unless you kept running the pump dry with no gas (i dont know why you would) it should be fine

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
will hurt your legs if its a long push LOL

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oh yea...you;ll have "steriod" calves after a long walk with a 330lb bike on oyur side!!! lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ran of gas on my 2000 ZX12(sending unit went). Got to the gas station, filled her up. All was good.

I think the bikes have better fuel pumps then the cars.

So don't worry.

D

·
0 Posts
I've heard that part of the problem with running a vehicle dry on gas is that any sediments that you have floating around in your tank end up stuck in your fuel filter which can cause problems.

I learned this because I used to be part of an organization where we ran those big 2004 V10 Ford "econoline" vans, and we ran out of gas and got a lecture about how in a big tank like that you can damage the filter and there a couple hundred bucks in those.
Drew~

·
Registered
785 Posts
will hurt your legs if its a long push LOL
(show my age again here)

I ran out of gas on my kz1000 once. I had about a 4 mile push to the station, up and over one creek bridge and one overpass! I was hurtin!
But... thats not the worst of it.
Got the gas, flipped the choke to help fire it off.(it was really cold out)
FORGOT about the choke:angry , fouled plugs, now I had an even LONGER push home.(well before cell phones)

I even thought about this two weeks ago.
I ran out of gas on my 01 zx6r. (forgot I was ON reserve) It was early morning on my way to work.
I just pulled out the ol cell phone:thumbup and called the shop and had them bring the gas can.

·
Registered
200 Posts
this goes along with pushing your bike. my bike stopped running on me down a long stretch of road (the silver strand) in san diego. i was 4 miles from home and decided to push it rather than call someone to pick up my bike. needless to say, after about 1 mile, i said screw it and paid for someone to take it to the shop for me. i was surprised that it only cost me $50 to take the bike about 6 miles to the mechanic.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thats one thing I like about my favorite twisty mountian road...it's literally down hill all the way back to my house.

When my engine blew up (local shop dropped on of those little Kleen air dowels into the engine during a valve adjust) all I had to do was turn the bike around and coast home. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thats one thing I like about my favorite twisty mountian road...it's literally down hill all the way back to my house.

When my engine blew up (local shop dropped on of those little Kleen air dowels into the engine during a valve adjust) all I had to do was turn the bike around and coast home. :)

:thumbup
we should all be so lucky.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I ran twice out of fuel with a ZX12R. The first time I called the autoclub and within half an hour I was on the road again. The second time was abroad and a fellow rider with a less thirsty bike could get some fuel for me.

Bottle feeding the 12...

·
Registered
8 Posts
ive ran out of gas twice. First time i ran out was on my first bike, my vt500 ascot. All was good after i pushed it half a mile to the random remote control airplane field, where someone spared some unleaded. Only thing that ended up coming from it was a broken turn signal that i kicked off accidently when i jumped back on the bike to ride out a down hill (haha...). Second time was on my vtr1000, pushed it for about a mile (fourth the way to the station) before a mowing company truck pulled over and lended some gas from there mowers. Both times, both bikes were riden thousands of miles after that with out a lick of trouble (there were hondas though... :smile ).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts