Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where you start out with enthusiasm but end up p.o.'d? Yeah that was me today.
You see, I had bought a set of used front calipers off an '01 GSXR-1000 and today I was going to take them apart, clean and get them ready for installation. They came apart easily enough but as expected, the pistons were kinda stuck. I used compressed air to remove all but one particularly stubborn one. I slowly increased the pressure until it suddenly popped out. It bounced off the side of the garage and...dissapeared into the bowels of the earth!
I spent a solid two hours looking for it on the driveway (I have a gravel driveway), inside the roll-up door, under things, in things-nothing!
So now I'm missing ONE piston which is keeping me from rebuilding the calipers. And you can't buy just ONE piston. In fact even finding a full set is nearly impossible, apparently.
I had to order a set from ISRAEL!!!
It wont be here until June 15- July-15!!!
AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!馃槚

Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
You see, I had bought a set of used front calipers off an '01 GSXR-1000 and today I was going to take them apart, clean and get them ready for installation. They came apart easily enough but as expected, the pistons were kinda stuck. I used compressed air to remove all but one particularly stubborn one. I slowly increased the pressure until it suddenly popped out. It bounced off the side of the garage and...dissapeared into the bowels of the earth!
I spent a solid two hours looking for it on the driveway (I have a gravel driveway), inside the roll-up door, under things, in things-nothing!
So now I'm missing ONE piston which is keeping me from rebuilding the calipers. And you can't buy just ONE piston. In fact even finding a full set is nearly impossible, apparently.
AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!馃槚
I will purposefully not look for it. Then, it shows up. Happens all the time to me. Don't look for it. But, look for other things. It works for me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't found it yet, but at least I'll have all new parts in it. And if I do find it, I'll have spares, so it's not all bad. Still frustrating though. How can something of that size just disappear, in a fairly limited area?

Oh, well-onward to seals and paint!

Registered
WTF is up with that. Happens to me more often then not. Its like when Im done with something I take it into the back yard and throw it as far as I can.
If Im really pissed Im screaming See , Im better then F ing Houdini at making crap disappear. What will sometimes work is I start cleaning up all the tools etc to find what Im looking for,

Registered
AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!馃槚

On the positive the day your stuff arrives you will find the piston.

Registered
Right after I wrote that I lost the only key to one of my bikes.
Its only about $500 to replace the three locks on the bike. I suppose I will find the key on or about the day the new locks and key shows up.

Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
Right after I wrote that I lost the only key to one of my bikes.
Its only about $500 to replace the three locks on the bike. I suppose I will find the key on or about the day the new locks and key shows up.
Well dam. That sucks

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aw no! I take it you only had the one key? Can you take the vin to the dealer and get a key made? Sucks indeed.

And I still haven't found my part either. I did get the new ones though, so now I just have to find time to assemble everything.

Registered
AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!馃槚

I think I have an old pair lying around. Let me check. Dang no such luck, Ill keep checking though

Registered
Well dam. That sucks

Aw no! I take it you only had the one key? Can you take the vin to the dealer and get a key made? Sucks indeed.

And I still haven't found my part either. I did get the new ones though, so now I just have to find time to assemble everything.

Of course I only had 1 key, You think I have my shit together or something ?? : )
. Called a locksmith out and that guy made a key and a spare in 10 minutes for $250.00

Premium Member
I hear ya man. That is something that plagues our friends that like firearms. One mishandled/properly handled spring will take off into the ether to never be seen again... then the wait for new parts. I swear, this is the work of the devil, if you believe in that sort of thing. Any kind of project, inevitably something goes awry (missing/magically disintegrates/etc), and you have to put the project on the backburner until replacement parts come in. Or God forbid, there are no replacements and you need to get parts custom made. You're not alone in your pain, amigo.

Reactions: M.Rad.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey! I found it yesterday! I went to feed the dogs and saw it laying in the gravel. It had bounced off the side of the metal building and come to a rest about 25 feet away, much farther than I would have imagined. And the thing is, I wasn't even looking for it any more :rolleyes:.

Well, now I just have to find TIME so I can get the calipers re-assembled and mounted. Can't wait to see how it all works!

Chevy Fan Attic- I'm glad to hear you were able to get new keys for a fairly reasonable price. Now, just don't be like me and put the spare in "a place that's so logical there's no way I'll forget..." :ROFLMAO:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts