Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel free to explain the dynamics of tank slapper for anyone out there who may not know...but...

Have you ever experienced one? Where, what happened, and did you survive?

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
Yep .... tank slappers near the limit are the worst but the rest just ride out with a bit of speed.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes, a deer at night at about 65mph. Basically I locked up the back probably got a little sideways, 6 not too violent shakes; just hung on let up a bit and the bike stabilized itself. Years ago some fast footwork at about 20mph when I ran over a dog but I think the 300mm travel of a KTM 350 together with its ground clearance probably saved my butt.

gammac

·
Registered
330 Posts
Violent tank slapper (lock-to-lock) at 85 mph coming over the crest of a hill. Front wheel hit a pronounced frost heave in the road right at the crest of the hill (couldn't see it coming). Handle bars jerked right, left, right again & I was off over the bars & straight down the road. All within probably 3-5 seconds. No time to react what so ever. Bike stayed up & somehow made it to the side of the road & into a deep grassy ditch. Broken head light lens & scratched rim, scuffed side cover only damage to the bike (me; not so lucky; 2 months recovery time then, good to go). Scary stuff at high speed - can't see how you could ever get it back under control in time to save crashing :headscratch

·
Registered
53 Posts
Felt a slapper starting once accelerating hard out of a turn -- Irish roads are pretty lumpy, I just thought it was normal! I let off the throttle a little and relaxed, and it sorted itself out. I'm more careful hammering it out of corners now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts