Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, is there a benefit at all to removing the evaporative emissions junk on the 11' ZX10R?

I ask, because having my garage smelling like fuel all the time is getting really old. It "vents" off all the time right after I've ridden the bike, especially when it's really hot outside. Living in las Vegas..... well.... ugh it's really hot all the time.

SO... what's the best way to take this off, or remedy it? I know on older bikes it just vents to the atmosphere, etc. Why can't we just get away with doing the same thing with this?

Will it effect performance or hinder it?

If it's a worthwhile "mod" to do, how does one go about doing it?

I appreciate any and all info I can get on the subject, there's an aweful lot of rubber hoses running all over the place on this damn thing....

thanks.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
I think all of them are made to vent out the gas cap and there isn't a way to get rid of that.
My 14 does it too. The 'whistle" as it's known, especially after a ride and the heat we have out here just adds to the gas smell.
I wonder if you might have something else going on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think all of them are made to vent out the gas cap and there isn't a way to get rid of that.
My 14 does it too. The 'whistle" as it's known, especially after a ride and the heat we have out here just adds to the gas smell.
I wonder if you might have something else going on.
Not sure.

I do know that it's a mother fucker to get this thing started after its been sitting in my parking lot at work. It's always super hot out there where I work, and it always coughs & sputters when it's real hot. When I get home, the cap is whistling and makes my garage absolutely fuckin WREAK. Like, enough to give you a headache.

WTF.....

:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
I don't know if the 10R's gas vapor recovery is different than the old 9R's and I know the 10R doesn't have a fuel tap, but I'm fairly confident about three things:

1) the vapor recovery equipment adds a pound or two to the bike and clutters up the top of the engine.
2) the gasoline it catches seems to help improve MPG, most noticeably after overfilling the tank, kinda like catching recovered fuel for later use. If that's true on the 9R, then after the fuel stops feeding from the ON position tank tube, it must be recycling anything scavenged by this system. Until that point, if the bike idles and starts weird, it seems to recover once the bike has been run past the ON fuel level to clear out the system. No matter what on the 9R, when the bike is at the ON/RES switching point there is a noticeable gas fume smell that vents out from the cap at the top of the tank. When I smell the fumes, I know the bike's within 3 miles at hwy speeds of tripping reserve.
3) the equipment works as advertised, reducing additional pollution out of the environment for one less vehicle. Seems it's better to burn the fumes than to vent them into the atmosphere. I like that; knowing my bikes are cleaner and have greater tank range than the 49 state bikes. That's money in my pocket!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm. Sounds good. So, I'm guessing this's why I actually do average approx 47mpg on a liter bike? My coworkers R1 rarely touches 45mpg, and another coworkers ZX6R seems to average in the upper 40's like mine.

Is, just opening up the fuel cap after I drive it an acceptable method? It certainly makes a fairly loud "pop" as I open it, that's for sure.

Just not used to this system I guess, as I came off of an 06' CBR600RR. It never had any of these "issues". That bike did however have a reserve switch, where as the new ZX10 does not. It's all automatic.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
I wonder if your gas cap vent is plugged and then forcing gas out somewhere else.
I get tired of hearing the whistling on my gas cap and just open it. Sometimes it does blow out some gas from all the pressure inside.
I would just pop open the gas cap after you park the bike in the garage and see if the gas fumes go away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Removing the evap system will make the smell of gas after a ride even worse. Think about it, the carbon canister is capturing the gas vapors. With out it you are venting the gas fumes to the atmosphere i.e. your garage. I didn't remove mine because it looks like a pita to get at and I like the fact that with this bike my garage doesn't smell like gas.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Evap system is supposed to catch vapors not liquid, so if you over fill your tank a lot, then there maybe gas in the carbon canister... A member on another forum had a similar problem, but he had enough gas in the carbon canister to start causing problems with the engine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Evap system is supposed to catch vapors not liquid, so if you over fill your tank a lot, then there maybe gas in the carbon canister... A member on another forum had a similar problem, but he had enough gas in the carbon canister to start causing problems with the engine.
Good point, I however never fill it above the little metal "shelf" inside the filler neck of the tank. Even the sticker on the tank says not to... so I never do. I'll fill it to just under that level, and leave it there.

:crazyloco

·
Registered
47 Posts
Then I'll go with 185EZ - maybe the vent is plugged... Hope ya get er' worked out soon though!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts