Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, Ermax have released a + 10cm screen for the GTR, more info here :-

http://www.ermaxuk.co.uk/pages3/dbc.php?bikecode=217&product=881

P.S. I hope i'm not breaking any forum rules posting a link to a corporate site, I am in no way affiliated with any companies producing parts (wish I was) for this or any other motorcycle.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Waiting to see the MRA Vario Touring, will make a decision then which one to jump for, think 10cm might be too much (says the vicar to the actress) but will definately be replacing the standard screen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd pass. I'm looking for a screen that looks like stock but is taller.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Waiting to see the MRA Vario Touring, will make a decision then which one to jump for, think 10cm might be too much (says the vicar to the actress) but will definately be replacing the standard screen.
All you need to do is lower the screen if it is a little to high when you ride till your ok with the resistance and then the 10CM wont be to long

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed about lowering the screen, but too big a screen runs the risk of extra drag and wind noise I would imagine, feel free to correct me if I am wrong (I am also not of a miniscule stature so believe you me I cause some drag as well :rotflmao ).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Agreed about lowering the screen, but too big a screen runs the risk of extra drag and wind noise I would imagine, feel free to correct me if I am wrong (I am also not of a miniscule stature so believe you me I cause some drag as well :rotflmao ).
Hehehehehehe well no matter how big you are that screen should be cool. if you have a look at the top of the screen it bends slightly forward the last couple of cm so i would think that is to allow the drag to move around you more and around your head. I only did 120km on the GTR 1400 and that screen being a little higher would have made the bike 110% all round.

I would say, get the screen and go for it because it looks cool and i think it would work very well

·
Registered
261 Posts
Guys,

Lets think about cross-wind frontal area now, down force on the front end, extra strain on windshield mounts, etc etc.. factors go exponentially off the charts as you pick up speed over 100mph... I'm not saying its gonna snap off or you'll blow away in a frontal crosswind.. I just want to keep you honest and think about it...

See you on the road,

Jerry

·
Registered
451 Posts
Kawasakis new higher screen is only 70mm taller and quite reasonably priced at just over the ton. Could be worth the wait.
What we need is for people to give their heights and comment on screen performance tyhen we could have a definative databas to source our own screen size as we have no chance of trying any out.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I used CalSci's +6 windscreen. Mark Lawerance was the key factor in my decision to purchase their screen. I got phenominal customer service, quick shipping, and comming off a C10, I was used to a larger screen. This CalSci screen is better all the way down than the stocker is all the way up.. with real world adjustments comming up from there.. Still plenty of air on my neck and face when down... but very quiet with virtually no buffeting or vortex popping all the way up.. I can actually talk to my wife at highway speeds (and higher) in a normal tone of voice . I'm 6'0" with a 30" inseam and all the way up I look just above the screen, not thru it. Excellent polycarbonate construction. Hard to believe that a piece of plastic can change the bikes whole persona. It looks like a sport tourer to me now. If it gets into the 90's for a few days... i'll bolt the stocker back on.. Yesterday was beautiful here in Pennsylvania.. Lows around 59F and highs only around 75F. The new shield performs as advertised and was quite enjoyable.

See you on the road,

Jerry

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks Jerry, :clap Just the sort of great information we need to help choose bolt on goodies. Even with the freight cost from the states, this screen still seems well worth it. Wonder how long delivery to the UK will be?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I ordered on a Monday afternoon, and recieved it Friday afternoon. Not sure how they ship to the UK.. but it wont take long!

Jerry

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks Jerry, :clap Just the sort of great information we need to help choose bolt on goodies. Even with the freight cost from the states, this screen still seems well worth it. Wonder how long delivery to the UK will be?
I ordered my Cal Sci +6h +2w on Aug 3rd,

Mark confirmed the order on 4th and it was despatched on the 6th

I got it today 21st..

Below is the USPS parcel tracking log.....

Delivered Abroad, August 21, 2007, 11:09 am, GREAT BRITAIN
Out of Foreign Customs, August 20, 2007, 8:54 am, GREAT BRITAIN
Arrived Abroad, August 20, 2007, 8:51 am, GREAT BRITAIN
International Dispatch, August 12, 2007, 5:33 am, SAN FRANCISCO AMC
Acceptance, August 06, 2007, 4:50 pm, WEST SACRAMENTO, CA 95799

So 18 days from order to delivery.. 14 of them down to the US Postal Service :crackup

Just put the screen on 10 mins ago , and I am now off for a blat up the A30/A39 to test it..

Stu..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hope it all works out for you Stu, if you don't mind me asking what was the overall cost including delivery to the UK?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Same here Stu...I like the look of that screen so would like to know total cost with P&P if it isn't a rude question. And what better road than the A39 to try it out on :crazyloco :thumbup :respect

·
Registered
164 Posts
Total cost including postage was..

CALIFORNIA SCIENTIFIC IN

USD 242.00 @ 1.985885 121.86

Now this screen transforms the bike :mfclap

Fully down on a warm but windy Cornish evening gave me a nice refreshing blast of cool air at mid / high chest.

When I wound it 3/4 up I could sit with my flip front Schuberth open at 70 with just small eddys of air behind the screen, no buffeting.

Then I found a "Ahem.... private road :wink " put the screen right up.. I could still see over it easily ... and wound the bike up to 120+ mph it was still quiet :rofl

I will do some pics in the next few days, the bike now looks like a proper sports tourer instead of a sports bike with panniers .

I am 100 % happy with the new screen.. thanks Mark..

Stu..

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ha! Stu!..

I KNEW you'd love it! Enjoy my friend!

Jerry

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks Stu, I think you have made up my mind...:clap

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Many thanks for the reply, my concern was getting hit on import duty, looks like you did not get hit too bad, made enquiries about some optical equipment and it would have cost me as much to bring it in as to purchase the equipment in the US!

Makes the decision even more difficult lol, still better to have the choice than not.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts