·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some old shots from Kawasaki's marketing campaign back in 2003

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
That's an unused OEM paint scheme though. Possible 04 model?

Josh

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
if they had have converted to FI and dropped that boat anchor of an exhaust, the 7R could have stuck around longer

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if they had have converted to FI and dropped that boat anchor of an exhaust, the 7R could have stuck around longer

They could have shaved a lot of bits off. Don't forget wheels, dash, swingarm, forks, Triples, rear sets ..etc. All of these parts could have dropped a few ounces/lbs.

If I wanted I could have a custom fuel tank made that drops close to 10lbs.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Cool pics.
Sucks the 7r went extinct.
Would have been nice to FI the bike and slim it down like you guys said.
What made them decide not to?
The zx10r came back in 04 right? And I'm the sure the growing popularity of the 600 class aided in the decision.

·
HEADBANGER
6,942 Posts
The extiction had a lot to do with supersport racing and no actual racing classes that allowed them anymore. Pretty much went to Supersport (600's) and Superbikes (1000's) so the factory 750 bike really had no place to go... rather than keep spending money on a bike with no place to race they cut the bike out. Kawi is still the smallest company of the big 4 Japanese brands and thus... saving money is a huge deal when doing R&D on new bikes.

If they brought it back.... I'd shit myself... and buy 2 of them after cleaning my shorts. :evil

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Kawasaki gave up on the 7R in 1997. Seems the way they do things really. They hit the ground running and then give up. Look at Superbike and MotoGP.

They hit the ground running in the late 80s and gained a ton of success and put some real effort into it for the better part of 6 years and then POOF... we don't care anymore.

Hence why they kept the "boat anchor" Yanagawa in WSBK. EBoz was a miracle worker and did what he could with what he had, but Team Green didn't care.

Motogp, same deal. Put a bunch of effort in developing a bike then POOF, we don't care anymore.

The only thing they have done consistently is Motocross.

The scheme above is a cross between the Superbike scheme and the 03 ZX7R OEM decal... makes one wonder what was up.

Josh

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't think Kawasaki stopped building it for any of those reasons. I think they stopped developing it, then when it stopped selling - they stopped building it.

The ZXR/ZX7/ZX-7R was even at the time a rather niche bike. I recall the times very clearly - most people were buying the more ergo friendly 600's, the more powerful yet still semi-sporty 900's or the crazy 1100's (these were the days before the super light, super powerful bikes of today). They even lost a fair few sales to Suzuki by people who bought on paper spec without riding a 7R to realise what an amazing machine it was. In stock form, slow on track - on the road - it made you feel like you were on a race track.

The 750 market never really took major hold as they were very expensive (same price as a 900) and didn't offer the 'performance' for those who deemed engine power as the only factor in choosing a bike (sound familiar?). A lot of people - at least where I'm from - overlooked them for the CBR9 or the ZX9.

The main reason it was developed/homologated was as an entry to WSBK/AMA etc which allowed (at the time) 750cc 4 cyl bikes and 1000cc twins. If you check your history you'll see it was a very competitive machine. The Ducati's always had the edge because of their weight advantage and tractability out of the corners/tyre friendliness though.

The fact the 7R ran from 96-03 (and was still selling) is an incredible feat. It's even more incredible that even after all these years it's still a fantastic machine that's worthy of iconic status.

It was a really funny bike. It was loved by its owners at the time just as much as it was today, but the larger part of the biking world ignored it. I applaud Suzuki for carrying on the 750 line, even though there's no real reason (other than marketing, heritage and posterity) to do so.

I agree it would be awesome if they rebirthed it (along with the RGV250 please!!!), but those times are gone. Best you can do is get one and do a full rebuild on it to bring it back to crate condition. Do it now before all the OEM parts are no longer available, that's what I just did...

Ranks in my best 5 bikes of all time. Much love.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
If they brought it back.... I'd shit myself... and buy 2 of them after cleaning my shorts. :evil
ZX-8R *****.

Kawi, make it fucking happen.

6, 8, 10. Perfect fucking place for it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
ZX-8R *****.

Kawi, make it fucking happen.

6, 8, 10. Perfect fucking place for it.
I agree, but I don't think it would sell. I just don't think there's a market in between the 6 and the 10.

And it wouldn't be 7R as you know it, would't even be close - otherwise it would definitely not sell. Imagine trying to sell a bike (new) with the 7R's spec today. Modern bikes are tiny, powerful and light. Everything the 7R was relatively not.

If it was built as a balls-out uncompromising racer, with loads and loads of goodies, then yeahhh.. Sign me up. Would push the price up over the 10R though I suspect.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I agree, but I don't think it would sell. I just don't think there's a market in between the 6 and the 10.

And it wouldn't be 7R as you know it, would't even be close - otherwise it would definitely not sell. Imagine trying to sell a bike (new) with the 7R's spec today. Modern bikes are tiny, powerful and light. Everything the 7R was relatively not.
No shit it wouldn't be the 7R as I know it. But the engine size is exactly what I am looking for in a modern bike.

A 600 lacks power, a liter bike lacks a healthy 14k RPM rev limiter (or somewhere around there) and is completely unnecessary for the street.

The power level of the ninja 1000 is... pretty damn cool. But it is basically a standard. Give me 140HP in a 400 lb package with a price point right in between the 6R and 10R, and you can bet I will be eyeing it.

There is a reason the 750s sold in the first place, and the above paragraph basically sums it up.

Will it sell now? Of course it will. It will sell like every other 750 always did.

Is it needed? Is there a legitimate reason to produce it? Of course not.

·
Registered
102 Posts
No shit it wouldn't be the 7R as I know it. But the engine size is exactly what I am looking for in a modern bike.

A 600 lacks power, a liter bike lacks a healthy 14k RPM rev limiter (or somewhere around there) and is completely unnecessary for the street.

The power level of the ninja 1000 is... pretty damn cool. But it is basically a standard. Give me 140HP in a 400 lb package with a price point right in between the 6R and 10R, and you can bet I will be eyeing it.

There is a reason the 750s sold in the first place, and the above paragraph basically sums it up.

Will it sell now? Of course it will. It will sell like every other 750 always did.

Is it needed? Is there a legitimate reason to produce it? Of course not.
Yeah I'm not disagreeing with you, I just think that building something really that good would be difficult to price that much lower than the 10R. Then it would lose out to the 10R as most people would buy on paper specifications. This is what hurt the 7R originally and was really unfair - as sometimes things are much better than they appear on paper.

Suzuki seem to make it work though, so I dunno why Kawasaki can't as well. If it had true racing character I'm sure I'd be eyeing one off though - even though I really should stop buying racers and get something a bit more comfortable next time!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For track use I think the 750 really is the perfect middle ground. It doesn't get dropped by the 1000s and it could handle as good as the middleweights with the lighter engine internals.

On the street, all the spec sheet buyers will opt for the 1000 if they can afford it but savvy riders will go for the 750.

As a bigger guy, the 750 is the logical choice to keep up with 150lb jockeys on 600s in the corners. And coming out of turns you can stay full throttle and not worry about the dreaded highside.

If Kawi brings back the 750 I'd bite for sure.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Out of interest, how well does the GSXR750 sell these days? It's a very comparable situation, being as there's a 600 and a thou already...

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
For track use I think the 750 really is the perfect middle ground. It doesn't get dropped by the 1000s and it could handle as good as the middleweights with the lighter engine internals.

On the street, all the spec sheet buyers will opt for the 1000 if they can afford it but savvy riders will go for the 750.

As a bigger guy, the 750 is the logical choice to keep up with 150lb jockeys on 600s in the corners. And coming out of turns you can stay full throttle and not worry about the dreaded highside.

If Kawi brings back the 750 I'd bite for sure.
Which is basically just saying the 750s will sell as well as they always have.

And the gixxer 750... sells the same as it always has. I know a couple people with them around here.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I don't think Kawasaki stopped building it for any of those reasons. I think they stopped developing it, then when it stopped selling - they stopped building it.
Kawasaki stopped producing the bike because they had no reason to continue to. Superbike changed to 1000cc spec. So Kawasaki dropped the 750 which was obsolete and dropped the 900 which was too close to the 10R.

Only way Team Green would bring back either one (7R or 9R) is if SBK changed from 1000cc to something else.

800cc would be cool for racing and a ZX8R would be cool and has a nice ring to it.

Josh

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Every time I ride on the track I end up thinking "oh if only my bike had 10-20hp more and weighed about 50lbs less...." then I realize that the GSX-R750 is just that.

I don't even care too much for the GSX-R750 styling but for what I want to do on the track it really is the logical choice given my current level of ability. The 1000cc might be too much for me still even though that's what I really want.

A Kawi 7R would definitely sell well and Kawi loyalists would buy for sure. I definitely would! It might even steal sales from the GSX-R750 just because people probably would want to try something different.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
It didn't sell that well new. And the motorcycle is tanked right now, nothing is really selling.

Josh

1 - 20 of 23 Posts