Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys run at?

Was out last night and the bike never got above 160??? then today got suck in traffic and the sucker sat from 210-215 even when crusing couldnt get her back down below 2-bills humm do these thing even have a thermostat?

Also when it was that hot got major spark knock off idle with this wonderful 91 crap they call preminum here i think its time for some Tor-co :rant

·
Registered
3 Posts
My bike was doing the samething. I talked to my dealer about it and he said that it happens and that the bike is designed to be moving to keep the temp down. I try to stay away from heavy traffic but I seen 230 before on my bike but I'm just about to put some engine Ice in her. but I even see 150's when i'm on the highway.

·
Registered
114 Posts
On my commute of about 20 miles on surface streets I've been watching it too. Seems to run around 185 when moving, then creeps up above 220 when sitting. Esp. when I go through a particularly slow part of my commute through the Point at South Mountain...

I've noticed the fan kicks in at about 210-215, and then at longer lights I see the temps drop back down into the lower 200's while stopped as a result. I've never seen it above 225 though.

It's been pretty cool lately, so I'm afraid to see what happens when the temps hit 110 and I'm stuck in that crappy traffic...

What do you guys run at?

Was out last night and the bike never got above 160??? then today got suck in traffic and the sucker sat from 210-215 even when crusing couldnt get her back down below 2-bills humm do these thing even have a thermostat?

Also when it was that hot got major spark knock off idle with this wonderful 91 crap they call preminum here i think its time for some Tor-co :rant

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah Im not looking foward to the 110+ temps... mbonadio you do live close I am right off the 101 on ray so keep a lookout for a silver and black zx theres a good chance its me

On a good note, todays ride, the temps got up to 214 then went back down to 195 on cruse so I-dunno

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey fellas-- whats engine Ice??

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
mine runs at 180 in the city and 142 on the highway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey fellas-- whats engine Ice??

it’s like water-wetter supposed to help dissipate heat better and make your cooling system more efficient... used it in my cars before seems to help they make a version just for bikes... it gets freaking hot where I'm at so anything that helps is good!

·
Registered
115 Posts
When the temp outside is 80.. My bike is running in the 170 - 185 range. When sitting for a while at a light or somethng. It runs to 210 and fan kicks on. The dealer told me that normal cruse temps should be around 185 when temps outside are warm. I would suspect that traffic lights are a good bike killer when temps outside are 110.... Myself.. this summer, I'm going to stick to back roads just to keep my bike moving.

·
Registered
144 Posts
yeah, i run usually around 185 on a hot day, and then while i'm stopped it peaks at 216, the fans kick on and bring it back to like 210 then as soon as i'm moving it's down to 185. The other night was cool and it was running around 165, felt smoother too

·
Registered
115 Posts
or you could let the fan do its job. Mister I got a 2007 under warranty and want to take back roads!!! LOL
You could look at it that way if you like.. However. You havn't seen these back roads.. Very clean and curves out the ass for many miles. I live by the lake and all the roads are so well maintained, it is easy to gt rid of those chicken strips. So the back roads around here are actualy a lot of fun. Most of the people I ride with stay on them for just that reason.:crazyloco

·
Registered
79 Posts
Highest I've seen was today, 223. That was in stop-n-go around town. Still seems a little high though.

So Redline's Water Wetter might help a few degrees (around town). Anybody here actually use this product?

As I've been watching the temps carefully it may be correct that riding harder is better. On a groupy yesterday through the twisties I found my temps were over 200 when riding a little slower (about 6k in the RPM's) and under 200 with more spirited riding. I believe ambient was low 90's...sweatin like a mo-fo in the leathers.

It wasn't a scientific test by any means but I've been paying attention...so I'll throw some water wetter in there (maybe this weekend) and see how she does.

·
Registered
117 Posts
All I really care is that when I'm hard charging through the twisties with the tach over 10 grand most of the time for a 15 to 20 minute stretch the temp never goes over 160.

·
Registered
1 Posts
how about "hot"?

when i first got my 04 636 i dropped it in some gravel about 30 miles from my house, breaking off the frame fitting that supports the left footpeg and the shifter. i was able to jam it into first and tie the broken peg/shifter to the side of the bike w/my shoelace and ride home in first.

after going 60 for a while in first, i let off the throttle, the bike backfired, and flames shot out of the exhaust. my alarmed friend pulled me over, and we stopped for a minute.

the temp gauge no longer read a number. it just said "hot"--scary.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm gonna replace the radiator with water wetter or engine ice this afternoon..... It's starting to get hot and I'm seeing 225-230 and not too happy about it!! ;-)

Anyone have any good instructions on radiator flush for the '07? Kawi's manual says "see your dealer" - yeah right!!

Yeah Im not looking foward to the 110+ temps... mbonadio you do live close I am right off the 101 on ray so keep a lookout for a silver and black zx theres a good chance its me

On a good note, todays ride, the temps got up to 214 then went back down to 195 on cruse so I-dunno

·
Registered
14 Posts
It was hot as hell in Georgia yesterday (hot enough I was riding in a T-shirt/gloves/helmet.........I know I know) and riding around town both me and my buddies 07 Gixxer 750 were running about 215-220. After shutting the bike off and restarting I noticed the temp was at 230 but came right back down to 210 after riding.

220 degrees isn't going to hurt the engine......you don't really have to worry on most internal combustion engines until it goes north of 260 or so. I wouldn't beat the snot outta it at 220+ due to worry of spark knock on a almost 13:1 engine.

Kawasaki kicks the fans on in the 215 range, meaning that the bike was designed to run that hot..........I'm not worried about it, I have a 3 year warranty!! :crazyloco

1 - 20 of 21 Posts