Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure I would start a thread here to get some more exposure.

So I noticed that my bike had a very slight hesitation around 5-6k rpm when lightly accelerating. I figured that I would take the carbs apart to clean them, and then do a sync while everything was apart. A carb sync had never been done before on this bike, so it was a good excuse to do it.

I've pulled the carbs and cleaned them before. I did the same thing this time, just did a basic jet cleaning, even though when I pulled them they were spotless. I sprayed everything down with carb cleaner, and put it back together. I put the carbs back on the bike. Then reattached the throttle and choke lines.

I plugged all the vacuum lines in, and hooked in the aux fuel bottle. The bike fired right up, and I ran it until it was warm, then shut it off and connect the carb sync tool. I calibrated the tool, then sync'd. All was good.

I shut the bike back down, put the fuel tank back on, started it up, and went for a ride. It was running well for the first 300 feet:lol, then the throttle pulsations started and it just start running real shitty. Couldn't keep idle, and when it did, it ran real poorly. Started and stopping was a nightmare, and if I gave it too much throttle, it would die. I eventually had to walk the bike back home because I just couldn't keep it running.

So I got it in the garage and pulled the tank and airbox to take a peek (newly installed K&N filter). All the lines were connected as they should be. The carbs were opening and closing as they should be while twisting the throttle. All the caps were on the vacuum lines that I used for the carb sync. I couldn't find anything out of place. I even put the carb sync tool back on to make sure that I didn't improperly calibrate the tool, but that was all fine. I hooked the tool back into the bike to make sure the carbs were syncd, and they were all perfect.

So I put the tank back on and started it back up. Took it back on the road and this time, almost immediately down the road, the bike was running like complete dog shit, and I had to turn around quickly to get it back to the house as I knew it was going to die.

The key here is retracing my steps, but I've done that and I'm lost. All I did with the carbs was pull the jets, and they were all clean. Could I have possibly put something back together in the wrong order? I'm pretty sure carbs 1-4 are built with identical parts.

If you guys could help at all that would be great. The bike is getting plenty of gas, but its running like it has a bad carb. This bike has ran extremely well in the 4 years that I've had it, and its only got 12k on it. Maintained properly as well. Under load, this bike is running so poorly its not driveable

my other "tune up" thread

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r-forum/61765-2001-zx6r-tune-up.html#post760297

Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
whats funny about this is that the the hesitation around 5-6k is gone, but now the bike doesn't run worth a damn.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You say it's getting plenty of fuel, so I'm baffled, cuz it sounds to me like it's not getting fuel, like if the vacuum line to the fuel petcock is left off...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its was getting enough fuel to the point where it was spraying out the top of the intakes while running. I could spray starter fluid in the intake and the motor wouldn't change rpms at all. It was getting way to much fuel.

long story short, I took the bike apart and realized i flipped the number 3 and 4 jets, and had to swap them back. I also realized that when I adjusted the float bowls, I did it the wrong way, so that it was letting wayyyyy too much fuel get in the carbs. After I fixed that, I started it back up, which took forever, and went for a spin. The bike was still cutting out when I hit the gas, and by the time it hit 150 degrees, it wouldnt idle. It stays running longer if its not under load. SO

what I'm thinking, is maybe from me running the bike with the floats all messed up and the jets flipped, I could have fouled the plugs? I maybe went thru a 1/3 of a tank while adjusting and test driving, which is indicative of running very rich.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts