Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all! i've been out for a while now. actually been tearing down the zx9 i bought back in january this year. i've run into quite the problem! i bought it knowing it didnt run, though it does want to turn over, just not actually kick and run. so, within the first week of purchase, i had the bike stripped of its fairings etc and charged the battery, checked plugs, wires etc to make sure it wasnt electical - all good. so i started on the fuel side, removed the carbs and immediately saw a problem - metal shavings splattered all over cylinder 3... :angry

so i started the engine removal, got the case split and my worst fears came true. the valves had been clearly floated and dropped into the cylinder, and were probably instantaneously mashed into the piston and cylinder wall. all four (intake and exhaust side) valves were disentegrated into molten shavings... :tard

for the last two months i've been relentless searching for a ZX9R engine for a used replacement - even if to just part out and use the best from both engines. but, to no avail, my search has yielded no positive results - mostly due to the fact everyone wants $1200+ for the motor, not including shipping, or installation, and most people dont even know anything about the motor (if it runs, how many miles, condition etc) :banghead

so, i've been talking around the local shops, and some say u can re-sleeve the cylinder, some say its not possible, some say its expensive etc etc. the fact is, i have a bike with no heart and im dying to revive her and get on two wheels again. i have about a $1500 budget for the project (engine aspect only - as i've already done most the other little things) :headscratch

i'll post a few pics below to show what i'm working with -- i need to know what everyone's opinions are on re-sleeving vs used replacement. also, any leads on engines would be great! as always thanks for everyone's help!! :smile

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
work in progress - pics

·
Registered
151 Posts
The liners are replaceable. Part # 11007-1136
Have you checked the crankshaft bearings? That metal went somewhere.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Imo

I cower from such consuming projects, so this is only my opinion. Rebuilding will probably get expensive, could have more traps (lost gears, for instance), and may not bear fruit. Replacing the motor is a viable option when used with the old engine parts. Third option is to part it out and add those funds to your $1500 budget and get a 9R in better condition than either of the first two options. $2500 puts you into the game for plenty of used 9s.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd consider it ... if the crank is ok. If the metal has gone right through the motor it might be a different proposition.
Mine had some scoring in the bore and the offending piston was lost, but I had a good bottom end to build on. And I didn't have to replace the head. That one looks like toast.
If I'd known at the time that I could replace the liners for $75 each I would have - the engine build would still have only been around $1500.
Rebuild v replace? I priced another engine at 1800-2000 delivered. Rebuild came in at around 1200. That included missing bits like cam chain guides and head bolts. Parts are cheaper where you are.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I made a choice to rebuild my 95 zx9r motor after it was diagnosed with a failure of #3 rod bearing. You could see where the debris was circulated throughout the engine.

My mechanic replaced all four sleeves, pistons, rings, rods, crankshaft bearings, and oilpump. I sent the crank to APE for repair. Not including the crank repair, the cost of these parts (new) was about $2k, outside machine work was about $700, labor totaled $800.

I was told that the engine parts like the rods, were getting difficult to get, as the rods are matched to the crank, and there are different series of cranks. Mine is either an "I" or a "J" series crank, don't remember.

I've got basically a new motor that runs like a sewing machine and I'm really happy with it. But it was my choice to do this, I thought the risk of buying a(nother) motor on the internet was not worth it.

I feel your pain.

·
Registered
841 Posts
And I don't want to twist the knife now that I stuck it in, but I didn't need any headwork....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Daisy - found some liners for cheap, but fearing thats not all i need to replace. like you said, crank, rods, head, etc etc.

@e1 - trust me, i was hoping the P/O just had blown a gasket or had gummed carbs, lol. i dunno about Cower at this, but i certainly got more than i bargained for. i've been contemplating the part-out, especially since im on a few forums, should at least get my initial investment back.

@rick - yessir, if i had $3500 to spend, well, i'd buy another bike ;) but with the limited budget, well, im limited. i'm still exploring all my options, but it looks as though i'll be parting her out soon.

dibs, anyone?? lol

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
looks as though i'll be parting her out soon.

dibs, anyone?? lol
How does the crank look? If it's in good useable condition I might be interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts