Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I am not all that mechanically inclined when it comes to the inside of a motor, so I had a question regarding a 96' ZX-11 I just purchased for 200 dollars. I bought the bike because of the low price, and knew it had a busted engine, it seems it threw a rod through the case, and was wondering what I would need to rebuild the motor? Would I need a new case and all? or would it be best to just find a used zx-11 engine? Another question for the ZX guys.. If I found a zx-14 or a zx-12 engine, could the Zx-11 be modded to hold that motor? like a sleeper bike? Thanks for your help in advance! and I apologize for the noob question!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More specific question...Would I need a new "case" for the motor? and if so would this work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-N...004QQitemZ140159991557QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I was wondering if I could have a motor built using the case above and adding some engine mod's like hot cams, racing pistons, etc..

or if the case above is no good and I need something "different" or a different fit, I could go with another engine period.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Saint, would I need that case even if I did not need the inside parts? or more specifically, would this case be a waste of money if a rod was thrown through my current case? I can add the other stuff in due time, I just want to get the main part that I know is damaged right now. I plan on just adding new pistons, new rings, new valves, etc... while i have the engine open. I was also wondering, would a zx-12 or a zx-14 motor swap be possible? or will it require alot of frame modifications etc?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I looked at the auction again. I guess there's only one shaft sticking out. No crankshaft, No Transmission parts, but the case looks amazing. And if you did throw a rod then there (probably) isn't any crankcase damage, it should be all top end, but you'll have to split the cases anyway to change the main bearing and check around anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts