Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone has had the engine oil leak on left side of there 2007 zx6r? and if kawasaki fixed this under warranty? i noticed my bike leaking checked ith my dealer but they say there is no recall? anyone know what i should do ?

·
Registered
676 Posts
is it leaking from the valve cover gasket? if it is, then there is no recall on it. its actually called a factory authorized repair (or something like that) that is done if it starts leaking (because not all of them do). mine did, and it is an 08, so i got the gasket changed for free. just do a google search, check Kawasaki's website, and get some stuff together and go back to the shop and show them your research and tell them you want it fixed for free, like its supposed to be.

now, if its not your valve cover then it wont be covered. but ill bet that it is leaking from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im pretty sure its valve cover gasket cause the oil is running down from top of the head .. is it big job to replace the gasket?

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
the dealer will replace the valve cover gasket for free if it hasn't been done on that vin before. call your dealer and get them the bike and vin. it is in fact a faulty Kawi mistake.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm going to have to check this out on my bike as well. There is no drips of oil under the bike, but the side of the engine seems to be quite wet. Hopefully it's just the valve cover. I could Change it myself at the shop I work at and get paid to do it!

·
Registered
782 Posts
is this where its leaking (i know you said left side, but about this height?) The valve cover is abit higher then the "crack" out see in the picture.

This is my 08 ZX6R. I pulled it out of storage to find that it was leaking oil. I contacted the dealership, no recall but they determined it was the valve cover seal and orderd me the seal + washers they are recommend to change when you remove the valve cover.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes that's exact spot where mine is leaking the oil but left side comes out right where that piece plast hits engine. Is it valve cover gaskets u think?

·
Registered
782 Posts
its the valve cover seal, simple fix. Cost me $55 for the seal and washers that are recommend to change once you remove the valve cover. All you need to do is remove the gas tank, air box, spark plugs then theres (i believe) 6 bolts holding the valve cover down. Unbolt those, pull the valve cover off and replace the seal.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Yes that's exact spot where mine is leaking the oil but left side comes out right where that piece plast hits engine. Is it valve cover gaskets u think?
Dude, this happens to every 2007 zx6 and the dealers know about it. The 08's don't have this problem as much but some still do.

Go talk to the dealer and it will get done for free. I rode about 4K miles with it before I did anything with it because it wasn't that bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks for info I'm goin get hold to dealer see what they have to say again. Is it big job to remove tank and fairings to do myself if the dealer won't do anythin for me?

·
Registered
782 Posts
its not a big job at all. Only reason im doing it is because the dealership said there was no recall in Canada. You dont have to remove the fairings at all. I'm trying write this out by memory so a few things might be off.

-Remove plastic parts covering the seat

-Remove 2 bolts holding the front seat down

-remove 2 bolts up front holding the gas tank down, 1 bolt in the rear and the hose at the back of the tank

-Lift tank up and disconnect the fuel line running to it. I cant remember if there is a another wire connect to it (its been awhile) if there is remove it and put the gas tank off to the side

-Remove wires connected to the airbox.Remove the box cover by unscrewing the screws then remove hose at the back of the airbox, 1 bolt up front and the 2 pain in the ass 3mm allen bolts on each side. You gain access through the frame (you will see the plastic covers on each side of the frame...pop those off and use a long 3mm allen key and loosen it off. Then remove the fuel rail, i think its 6 or 8 bolts holding it down. Once all those are removed it should look like this...

With everything disconnected the airbox should come out, it might require abit of force to get the box off the velocity stacks/throttle bodies. Just make sure you loosend the 3mm bolts from the sides.

Once its off it will look like this...

-Remove the coils up front to expose the spark plugs and remove those.

-Remove the the 6 bolts on the valve cover, you can see them in each corner and then another one by the #3 plug...the other one you cant see in this picture cuz of the wires.

Now since i havent done this myself yet (will be doing it this up coming week) im not sure but i think thats pretty much it, besides moving wires out of the way the valve cover should come off now to replace the seal.

I'll already have my tank and airbox out because im installing a few other mods, but from what the dealership told me its $163 (parts/labour) for them to do it....about 2 hours worth of work.

You are in Canada so the part numbers are the same....

1x Gasket, Headcover - 11061-0378 $29.67
6x O-ring - 92055-0187 $4.80 each

·
Registered
782 Posts
yea np, with the weather we are having in Edmonton, ill probably do it on Wed. Might not have the bike running that day though since i have to replace the seal, install a ignition module, speedohealer, sprockets and chain. And i have to readjust my exhaust.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey snakes I see your from Edmonton. I live up in Westlock. Wich dealer did you go too about the oil leak? How long to get your parts in?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not sure where westlock is..lol. I went to Echo Cycle and i orderd them mid/early last week and i just picked them up today.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just Bought my 07 amd looked yesterday after riding it home and yup I have the same issue. I'm pretty down to be honest..figures the year I buy has a motor issue. Any idea the average time it's going to be in the shop IF they do it?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I just Bought my 07 amd looked yesterday after riding it home and yup I have the same issue. I'm pretty down to be honest..figures the year I buy has a motor issue. Any idea the average time it's going to be in the shop IF they do it?
Depends on how much business they have in the shop. It's going to take them at least a day. If they have to order the gasket, it's going to take a few days longer. Have them change the plugs while the bike's apart if it's in your budget.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts