Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i know the ZX9B's are sorta known for clunky shifting as are a few other models. Im wondering what oil do you use and has it helped/made worse the shifting? I just switched to Rotella 15w40 and it seems to shift smoother.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have used the shell rotella 5W40 syn and the 15/40 dino and had smooth shifting with both. All of the 3 major diesel oil's (chevron delo 400, Mobil delvac 1300 super and rotella 15/40) are suppossed to be very good oil for motorcycles, good amounts of zinc and phosphorus and good add packs and are pretty cheap for good quality oil and can be found at most any walmart. There has been talk that the delo 400 has a high amount of moly in it, i believe around 200 ppm and some people have had good results with it and others have had clutch slippage. Mobil makes a synthetic called Delvac 1 that is suppossed to be a very good choice if you can find it, mostly at truck stops and is a little more pricey.
Castrol also makes a 15/40 diesel oil called tection extra but have no experience with it

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Ive got a little over 1k miles on this oil change and i think im going to stick with the Rotella. Its really made the bike shift better and from what ive read it does seem to be a great motorcycle oil. As a plus, i get all i want for free since my old man buys the stuff in 5 gallon buckets for his farm equipment. :smile

1 - 4 of 4 Posts