Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '03' ZX6RR with 12 000klms on it, when I first start it, it has a VERY noticable top end knock. It eventually goes away after it has been fully warmed up. I think it may need the shims looked at but not sure, can anyone help me with this.

Straight lines

Walter

·
Registered
92 Posts
thats pretty low Km to have the valves checked but it wouldnt hurt to get the valves checked out. Thats my guess on what it would be. Other than that what kinda fuel do you use, 87, or 91+ octane cuz that would aslo cause engine knocking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running 98 octane all the time so that should not be an issue. Before I picked the bike up it did do some time in our Spuper Sport series and it has has some engine work but not sure what. So it did have a fairly explosive start to life , but other than that it runs perfectly.

Walter

·
Registered
2 Posts
my 01 zx6r has 12000 miles on it and i beleive they have similar engines if not the same. my engine also has a noticable tap when it's cold. once it's warmed up it quiets down some. i think it's the valves but i have to save up the 315$ to get my local dealer to adjust them. i'll let you know if that stops the tapping though when i get it done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine has a similar "knock"... Word among Kawi riders up here is it's a typical problem for a Kawi and has been dubbed the "Kawi Knock". However I have yet to get a solid answer on the cause of it so I would be interested in hearing what you find.

I think the cold could very well be a factor in it. :headscratch

<< 04' Kawi Ninja ZX-6R (636)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Check it's not primary transmission snatch, if it goes away when you pull in the clutch & put it in gear, then that is the cause of the noise. If the carb/injector synchronisation is out it will make it more pronounced.

Fairings make it difficult to pinpoint where noises are coming from as the bodywork tends to transmit any noises all around the bike. Regular servicing will make sure that any noises are less likely to be a mechanical problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's not so much of a 'knock' as it is a 'flapping' noise... Kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and attached a card to the back tire to hit the spokes but no where near as loud as that. It's a slight flapping noise and it doesn't go away when you pull in the clutch and put it in gear.

It does come and go while riding though, which is what makes it so odd. Yet there is no real performance issues. I also keep on top of the maintenance.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
valve chain?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have it booked in for the end of the month, I am hoping it is just the tappets (shims) and not something more but I will post the outcome when I get it. I have had a few ZX6R's and yes I have found that they do tap a little, but this one is far louder than my others that is why I was a little concerned (Stays when cluthched is pulled in also). Thanx for all the help with this, as I am a newbie I have been really happy with the all the forums and help when a question is asked.

Walter

Straight Lines

1 - 9 of 9 Posts