Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This is my first time posting so please be gentle :) I bought a 1996 ZX-7R from this guy who was keeping it in his garage doing nothing with it. The title says that it is indeed a 96 ZX-7R but the engine does not apper to be from the same year. I was going to install a new coolant reserve tank because it was missing the original one and realized that it would not go on. I downloaded the Service Manual and I have the correct part but the clutch/engine cover seems to be different than the one in the book which would explain why the tank would not install. Does anyone know how I can go about finding out what type of engine I have or what year? Thank again!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Suddog

My 2002 ZX6 has a serial number on the engine just in front of the oil fill plug. I don’t know of how to ID the year other than call a friendly dealer and have then check it. Hope this information helps.

P.S. Welcome

·
Registered
118 Posts
I called a local dealer for help with identifying a 9R motor I was concidering buying. Turned out to be the wrong year though. My point is that the guy I talked to was more than happy to help out. Thats the kind of thing that keeps me coming back and spending money there, and they realize that. Any good parts guy at a rputable dealer should be able to help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If there are no holes in the clutch cover you probably have a 93-95 Zx7 L motor in there or atleast the clutch cover. It has about the same power, but a little less midrange than the newer 96+ zx7r motors. The 93-95 zx7s have the reservoir in the tail section, in the 96+ they moved it to the clutch cover like on the zx9 motor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts