Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Adjusting the valve clearances would probably bring the compression up and level it out.
Other than that, I don't see any problem other than the fact it is a C motor and requires the offset sprocket.

ZX11Ninja did have another ZZR1200 motor for sale.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adjusting the valve clearances would probably bring the compression up and level it out.
Other than that, I don't see any problem other than the fact it is a C motor and requires the offset sprocket.

ZX11Ninja did have another ZZR1200 motor for sale.

Thanks! I really am considering buying it! I just don't want to buy it then 2 weeks later it screws up on me. I cannot find ZX11NINJA's profile? I also really don't want a C model engine! Are there any respectable sites that sell zx motors?

·
Registered
226 Posts
My fault, it's ninja11zx :banghead

I bought a ZZR1200 motor from him a few months ago.

There's a place near Chicago that lists ZX11 motors on eBay fairly often, but their prices are not low, plus they want your old motor in exchange (or pay an extra core charge).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My fault, it's ninja11zx :banghead

I bought a ZZR1200 motor from him a few months ago.

There's a place near Chicago that lists ZX11 motors on eBay fairly often, but their prices are not low, plus they want your old motor in exchange (or pay an extra core charge).
Thanks! How much is he asking for the 1200 motor? Also can a 1200 motor just drop into the zx11 frame?

·
Registered
556 Posts
A c motor has a slight advantage over a d motor.They use a short piston skirt,therefore less mass and friction,resulting in quicker revs.Race pistons all use short piston skirts.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
A c motor has a slight advantage over a d motor.They use a short piston skirt,therefore less mass and friction,resulting in quicker revs.Race pistons all use short piston skirts.
Except a C is connected to a single ram air, unlike the D, making any short piston skirt gain irrelevant.... as indicated by quarter mile times between the two bikes.

Both bikes did the quarter in almost identical times.... showing no benefit to shorter piston skirts

http://www.zx11.info/zx11/specs.htm

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well guys I just decided that I'm not gonna rush getting the bike back up and running! Since money is a little hard to come by right now I'm gonna give it a shot at rebuilding the current D motor! My next question would be, what are good sites (other than ebay) to buy the proper internals to rebuild? I cannot seem to find any good places to get internal parts. Would the dealer just be the best place to go?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've used cheapcycleparts,ronayers,kawasakipartsnation,bikebandit,etc...The prices for parts can very slightly between these companies as well as shipping charges.I'm on a tight budget so I usually do lots of checking around.I rebuilt my engine a couple of years ago and bought some of my new parts from a guy on bigbikeworld and the rest from cheapcycleparts.If time is not an issue,check around and you will find some good deals.Enjoy your rebuild.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Well guys I just decided that I'm not gonna rush getting the bike back up and running! Since money is a little hard to come by right now I'm gonna give it a shot at rebuilding the current D motor! My next question would be, what are good sites (other than ebay) to buy the proper internals to rebuild? I cannot seem to find any good places to get internal parts. Would the dealer just be the best place to go?
thats best i think.....im rebuilding a motor now....and its the cheapest way...i needed a crank,so im only going to have 3 to 4 hundred in rebuilding with a used crank.plus you can do some of the mods to make it even better,like the oil hole line up.so it will be better than just buying a whole engine

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ Thanks for all the help guys! I wanted to know once I rip apart the block! How exactly is the best way to see if the crank can be reused? Would I need to measure for endplay? Pretty sure with the knock I'll need to replace bearings and rods. Also check pistons and rings! I started by removing the spark plugs and they were drenched in oil! No clue why that happened! Any help is appreciated! Should be ripping it apart to see the damage sometime within this upcoming week!

·
Registered
94 Posts
when you say drenched in oil unless a piston or rings are broken i would have to assume that it is from the spark plug o rings in the valve cover. you need to measure the journals on the crank so see if they are in spec per the manual and the surface finish will accept new bearings if you are unshure if it is ok to reuse find a local machine shop and have them look at the crank i know that when people show up at the she shop i work for and just want to know if it is ok we do a quick visual and mic for free. There is places on line i forget there name right now but they sell repaird cranks. or i use castillos cranks in santa fe springs ca for crank grinding. also have the big end of the rod needs to checked for size and out of round so when you put it back together there is no issues. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when you say drenched in oil unless a piston or rings are broken i would have to assume that it is from the spark plug o rings in the valve cover. you need to measure the journals on the crank so see if they are in spec per the manual and the surface finish will accept new bearings if you are unshure if it is ok to reuse find a local machine shop and have them look at the crank i know that when people show up at the she shop i work for and just want to know if it is ok we do a quick visual and mic for free. There is places on line i forget there name right now but they sell repaird cranks. or i use castillos cranks in santa fe springs ca for crank grinding. also have the big end of the rod needs to checked for size and out of round so when you put it back together there is no issues. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Great! Thanks alot for the info! I will be sure to come back when I have more questions.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
My point is this,a C motor in a D bike.Unless your going to rebuild a D motor with race pistons.
Well, like Ninja11zx says. You will still have the more inferior transmission then the D model, so why bother?

Rebuild the D, fix the #3 rod oiling issue and add a modified oil pan for good measure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts