Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my ZX-14 about a week now and love it, naturally. BUT, as mentioned by another owner (he's in Phoenix, I'm in the SF East Bay), the motor runs hot, or at least that's what the gauge says. I went from Danville to Oakland yesterday (about 30 miles, mostly freeway), and while I ran it up to 120 a time or two (damn hard to break these things in without getting into big trouble), the gauge read all the way to the top by the time I got to Oakland, and this was on a day when the temperatures ranged from the low 80s to the mid-70s over the route I traveled.

I'm going to ask the dealership about it - maybe there's a TSB.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't had a chance to ask the dealer about it but I too find the 14 runs hot in traffic and it was -3 over night here so its not getting terribly hot during the day. I have made a few plans of my own to help with cooling. First I plan to add a product to my antifreeze called "Water Wetter" witch I believe changes the viscosity of your coolant. I have used the product in the past on race cars and demo derby cars with great results. It has made a difference of 20 degrees F in everything we've put it in. Second I plan to purchase an aftermarket fan form Schnitz Raceing. I believe they have an extra blade and are lighter. Third I'm going to look in to the temp at witch the thermostat opens and the point at witch the fan turns on. I'm thinking that by lowering the temp of the thermostat it will open sooner and allow better cooling. On a final note, the digital guages don,t give you an actual reading just hot or cold I plan to heat the bike up and check the engine and cooling system over completly with a Heat Gun [lazer] to get some actual temps. Hope this helps. I will keep you posted on the results. Let me know if you get any other info. Thanx eh!

·
Registered
54 Posts
crwdplsr said:
I haven't had a chance to ask the dealer about it but I too find the 14 runs hot in traffic and it was -3 over night here so its not getting terribly hot during the day. I have made a few plans of my own to help with cooling. First I plan to add a product to my antifreeze called "Water Wetter" witch I believe changes the viscosity of your coolant. I have used the product in the past on race cars and demo derby cars with great results. It has made a difference of 20 degrees F in everything we've put it in. Second I plan to purchase an aftermarket fan form Schnitz Raceing. I believe they have an extra blade and are lighter. Third I'm going to look in to the temp at witch the thermostat opens and the point at witch the fan turns on. I'm thinking that by lowering the temp of the thermostat it will open sooner and allow better cooling. On a final note, the digital guages don,t give you an actual reading just hot or cold I plan to heat the bike up and check the engine and cooling system over completly with a Heat Gun [lazer] to get some actual temps. Hope this helps. I will keep you posted on the results. Let me know if you get any other info. Thanx eh!
Holy Crap! You're pretty thorough! I plan to let the dealer/Kawasaki handle this. I don't want to do anything to void my warranty yet. I haven't been home for a week (visiting the parents in San Antonio). I am going to take the 14 on its first mountain twisty run Friday. Let's please keep in touch. I would like some ammunition if/when I go to the dealer with this problem.

I will send you both a private message.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Muzzy Alluminum Replacement fan

I spoke to Muzzy and was advised that there aftermarket
alluminum fan produces 30% more air flow. So whether it is
true or not I already ordered mine lol...........

The Vak

·
Registered
21 Posts
31 degrees C. up here in the north country. Put on 200 km rideing 2-up and a good half hour in traffic. The temp. guage sat at one bar above half with the fan on and never gave me any trouble, the bike run great. Its still bone stock, I haven't even added the Water Wetter yet. As far as heating problems are concerned I would say there aren't any. You guys down in the south keep us poasted if you run in to any issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Temp gauge has been up fairly high in city traffic but once you get out in the open the bike seems to cool right back down. I havent had it get up to the max on the gauge yet. ::shrugs:: Who knows. I will say that it has been pretty hot up here with high humidity. (Pennsylvania)

·
Registered
33 Posts
crwdplsr said:
31 degrees C. up here in the north country. Put on 200 km rideing 2-up and a good half hour in traffic. The temp. guage sat at one bar above half with the fan on and never gave me any trouble, the bike run great. Its still bone stock, I haven't even added the Water Wetter yet. As far as heating problems are concerned I would say there aren't any. You guys down in the south keep us poasted if you run in to any issues.
I agree, had mine in traffic on a 90 degree day for over an hour and was 1-2 bars from the top of the scale.
As soon as traffic started moving the temp came down to 1/2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yup agree. here in malaysia 34-36c.i also got the same problem.my temp is too high 1 bar from the top but once the traffic started moving the temp is normal back.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm in Las Vegas and also notice it running "hot" (according to the gauge). Now, I've only had the thing since mid November, so the temps here in Vegas have been mild. However, sitting in traffic at a light I get 5/6 bars (the one just under the overheat indicator) ALL the time. I kinda don't like it. Considering it's doing this in November/December. By June/July/August (when Vegas is 100-115 degrees) I'm sure that thing will tick right on up to overheat.

I mentioned it to the dealer and (incoming classic, "don't worry line") and he said he has noticed all the ZX-14 running hot. He also mentioned to change the fluid to something like "liquid ice".

I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im in the Mojave Desert. It gets around 110 in the shade. My bike was running 1 bar from the top. I added water wetter and it never reached that bar again. I plan on upgrading the fan also. Just about everyone runs hot. Even in other forums. I think its in the bikes nature. I think a simple cheap fan upgrade is all that is needed. Just my $0.02:tard

·
Registered
266 Posts
I spoke to Muzzy and was advised that there aftermarket
alluminum fan produces 30% more air flow. So whether it is
true or not I already ordered mine lol...........

The Vak
Hey Vak is the fan you're talkin' about? It's part number HT-H4 and is $34.95. I take it the '06 and '07 are interchangable eventhough it only mentions '06.

PS I just ordered one. If it doesn't work on my '07 I'll post up about it, but the tech at Muzzy said he is not aware of any changes and has not heard any problems. I will keep y'all up to speed on it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had basically the same experience as you guys ,... stop and go snail along type traffic is not enjoyed by the `14. But once you get rolling along consistently it seems to cool down to an acceptable level. I think that I`m gonna get a muzzy fan just to be on the safe side tho`.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I also am getting the replacement fan... but what is this water wetter i've been hearing from you guys? Where can i get it? I'll do anything just to make it cooler...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I also am getting the replacement fan... but what is this water wetter i've been hearing from you guys? Where can i get it? I'll do anything just to make it cooler...

Here's a link on it. Also, I'm pretty sure that most (all?) tracks require you use it rather than glycol based coolants, just an FYI.

·
Registered
57 Posts
thanks for that link... but what's with the "sliperiness of coolants" part on the waterwetter site??? is that in case you pour it out on your driveway or something??? :headscratch

"SLIPPERINESS OF COOLANTS
Red Line Water Wetter does not alter the frictional property of tire rubber and water on a pavement surface. The chart below shows the static and dynamic friction of pavement wetted with different coolant types. Higher friction indicates less slipperiness. The dynamic friction indicates the increase in slipping which occurs after the tire begins to break loose. Water and water with Water Wetter reduce the friction relative to dry pavement about 50%, but it is much less than the reduction in friction caused by ethylene glycol and even more slippery is propylene glycol. "

·
Registered
266 Posts
thanks for that link... but what's with the "sliperiness of coolants" part on the waterwetter site??? is that in case you pour it out on your driveway or something??? :headscratch

"SLIPPERINESS OF COOLANTS
Red Line Water Wetter does not alter the frictional property of tire rubber and water on a pavement surface. The chart below shows the static and dynamic friction of pavement wetted with different coolant types. Higher friction indicates less slipperiness. The dynamic friction indicates the increase in slipping which occurs after the tire begins to break loose. Water and water with Water Wetter reduce the friction relative to dry pavement about 50%, but it is much less than the reduction in friction caused by ethylene glycol and even more slippery is propylene glycol. "
That is the reason tracks REQUIRE it rather than glycol based coolants. If you wipeout, and leak water on the track, you also leak the glycol which is slippery even after the water evaporates. Pretty sure both car and moto race tracks require that no glycol products are used for this reason; hence one of the reasons they tout it. However, that is just what I've read no actual exp. with it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks motovegas for the info. Really appreciate it alot. Again, thanks..

Np, bro.

Anyway, I just put some Water Wetter in mine today. Not sure if I am noticing a difference yet. I got the Muzzy fan in the mail too, and I will probably switch it out sometime next week. We'll see how that works.

I was talking to a buddy of mine who mentioned a "dual fan" mounting bracket. He knows they have them for the busa, but hasn't seen one for the ZX-14. I am hoping (praying) that the Water Wetter and the Muzzy fan blade will do the trick, because I can't seem to find a dual cooling fan mount for the ZX-14 either.

But I am worried sick over summer riding here in Las Vegas. I mean, it has not been uncommon for me to get 5 bars in November and December sitting in traffic. When it's 50++ degrees hotter outside, I can't imagine NOT getting that 6th bar and the overheat lamp indicator!!! :eek:hno

Anyway, I'll keep you all up to speed on my findings.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Please do update us upon your findings. If there are a slight improvement, i would like to hear about it. I was thinking the same thing about the dual fan mount that you mentioned. Wonder they made that improvent/changes to the 07 model (hhhmmmm).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts