Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I Bought a 1986 zx6a that's been sitting for a few years, only have 14k km on it. So I've done all the usual new battery, oil change spark plugs, carb clean. But what's happening is when I am starting it with it connected to my car battery it turns over a couple of revs and stops turning over. You can tell it's still trying to turn over but seems like something is holding it back, I've taken the clutch plates apart thinking they could be sticking together or something but still nothing. Anyone that could help point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If it's been sitting for a few years I'd be pulling all the sparkplugs, then crank it long enough to get oil pressure to the main and rod bearings, and then also up into the head. Main reason is before loading up those dry bearing shells with compression and/or ignition having as much oil in between the rotating parts is gonna be a big help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks for the idea, I don't know if the couple seconds it does crank over if it's enough to build the pressure but I'll give it a shot :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I removed the spark plugs it was turning over no problem nice and smoothly until I put the spark plugs back in and now it's back to doing the same thing, also seems like I might be getting some fuel pushed into my airbox somehow

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
does it sound like the starter is spinning? if so the starter clutch is going. if not then you may have a weak battery or a bad starter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea the starter continues to spin when the engine stops cranking, thanks guys, I've decided to go for the starter clutch, got the engine outta the bike today I'll let you know how it goes :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So just an update, I did manage to get the starter clutch out from the bottom by going through the oil pan, just waiting on parts now the one way was pretty brutalized rollers and springs all busted up and cleaned metal bits out of the pan :p, this forum is great I was about to cave and take it to a shop. thanks for saving me some money xD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts