Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here's a few pics from the engine clean & oil change.
I got Motul engine clean & gave it a try, In the end I'm not sure it was necessary.???

I followed the instructions: Warmed the bike for 5 minutes or so to 180 degrees.
Shut off & poured in the Motul, Ran the bike @ idle for a full 15 minutes.
She was getting a bit warm @ 198 I put my fan on her & brought the temp down to 192 & held it there.

The starting line up...

This is why I say I'm not sure the oil flush was necessary,:O The oil is only just a bit darker than normal...

& this is how not to mess your inner fairings its called "cardboard":)

The filter I use, Its 3.5" long.

Don't forget to lube the Oring, & fill with oil.

As you can see there's no need to remove the lower-cowling/fairing to do an oil & filter change on a ZZR/J model, Plenty of room...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not one single freaking response???? Come on, Pitiful.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks pretty clean to me. How many miles did you have on this OCI? Also, how many miles is on the bike? I'm guessing low miles on both and that's why it's pretty clean and probably unnecessary.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2,000 on the oil, This was the first time Iv flushed it. 45,000+ on the bike.
I got it new in April of 2007.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've thaught of doing this as well. I've got a 2005 ZX 10R with 39 000 miles on the clock. Your oil loks much better than mine. I do ride mine like I stole it, so it's probably do be excpected. I'll do the same this weekend and let you know what my oil looks like.

·
Registered
122 Posts
On one hand I'm not surprised since the oil was changed after 2k miles but to do a flush after 45k+ miles and it look that clean is surprising... the fact that you use a 3.5" filter and not one of the smaller ones has probably helped keep it clean since it has more filter surface area and if you've been changing your oil every 2k miles that definitely has helped too. One things for sure, it looks like you've been taking good care of your ride!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looked today & the mileage is 45,819. Yeah I take good care of her.
It pays off when I'm 500+ miles from home.
I know when I turn that key she's not going to let me down.

The other woman in my life says to good. Says I spend to much time in the shop with her.
I just roll my eyes & think, Yeah well I could be out chasing skirts.
She just don't know. These hands are gonna Caresse something of beauty, not gonna set idle.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Diluted oil, diluted dirty. Really looks like a 500 miles oil.
Yours are Not a carburated bike, right? Just saying that E85 with a couple of pints of gas does that to keep the oil clean, too.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Diluted oil, diluted dirty. Really looks like a 500 miles oil.
Yours are Not a carburated bike, right? Just saying that E85 with a couple of pints of gas does that to keep the oil clean, too.
???, Not sure i follow you here, Yes the bike is carburated.
E85?? Ethanol??? I hate that shit.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Just for a temporary treatment, dude. No need to run as the whole of the bike's life.:smile

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
No, EZ planes has TBO and you tear it down no matter what. And a little 85 would burn up any bike? No man, not saying to use it pure, as retro mentioned.

Thanks a lot, EZ for clarifying that.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
And his engine is clean. No need to flush. I tell to dirty 14's to use. kkkkkk. But I know, you like goat urine anyway.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Well, for YI, I use E85 regularly on mine, w/o any problems. But mine is prepared for that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would never use engine flush no matter what the can says on it. Not when my crank case shares oil with the clutch, could cause premature wear, or slippage issues. I just change my oil every 2000 miles and run amsoil synthetic with a K&N oil filter. I also, have done research on using car oil filters on bikes and I can not remember exactly what it said, but it came down to don't do it. K&N, Amsoil, Wix motorcycle filters are built the best. They are not only machined the cleanest, but they don't contain paper and cardboard inside, the pleats and gaskets are better, bottom line the filter is constructed that much better. I came from riding dirt wear we would change our oil after every moto, clean our filter, and tear down the top end and rebuild about every 3 months. Between that, race fuel and 2 stroke oil mix, the money i spend to ride street is nothing. It's recreation, fun, and should cost money. Peace of mind alone is worth the extra 25 dollars a change every 2-3 months. However, I've seen people use car filters and car motor oil and do great, having no issues and 40,000+ miles on there bike. Shell Rotella T6 is a great oil, great additive packs!

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
When you say research, what exactly do you mean by that?

Because there is a very simple, and easy method of research that will produce undeniable results when it comes to filters.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Research on build quality, cut the filters in half see how they are built. Also flow, and filtration numbers. I forgot what company makes fram, but they make several filters under different names, all garbage. I'm sorry but i refuse to buy a filter made of paper and cardboard, you can tell they are garbage just by looking.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Acceptable sir.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Purolator filters are not made of paper or cardboard.
There made of the same material as K&N. & research is what led me to em.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts