Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My registration just came up on a used 2001 ZX9 I purchased and I failed emissions testing in Arizona. Mileage is 18,000.

I believe we only do idle tests, we don't get on the rollers at all and test under a load.

So I have 1578 ppm hydrocarbons at idle and the standard I need to meet is 220 or less. At precondition (high idle 2500 rpm) I have 1771 ppm hydrocarbon and the standard is 100 or less.

I passed carbon monoxide with 0.28 ppm CO (must be 1.20 ppm or less) and at 2500 was showing 0.61.

The bike has a Jardine full header and I haven't opened the carb yet. So here come the questions:

1) My idle was around 1200 rpm, could it be that I was past the idle jets of the carb and putting out too much hc because of that.

2) I can't say if the bike has been rejetted or not until I crack open the carb. It seems to run pretty well without any undue popping. Sometimes before I first start it it will give out 1 loud backfire (like a gun going off).

3) What else should I check beyond easy stuff like air filter, plugs, etc.

4) I don't think any of the *tricks* like heating the intake or running a lot of alcohol in the fuel really work. I tried some with an FZR I had years ago and it didn't help.

Thanks,
Shaun

·
Registered
14 Posts
You could turn the air screws in/out to lean the idle. No, you were still on the idle circuits at 1,200. Seems high for an idle. Lower the idle to 1,000.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts