Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum (BigBikesForum refugee).

Anyway, I've got a 99 D7 and I'm switching back to stock air cleaner element (from K&N) after a carb rebuild. I seem to have only one plastic grid element holder and the diagram shows a sandwich. I never throw away anything - is it possible that mine came with only one? Oh, and foam up or foam down? :tard

·
Registered
161 Posts
Welcome to the board!

As for your question I have no idea. Mine is a c model and I don't really mess with the air stuff but there is a member here that goes by the name Claude, I bet he knows just gotta wait for him to see this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the board!

As for your question I have no idea. Mine is a c model and I don't really mess with the air stuff but there is a member here that goes by the name Claude, I bet he knows just gotta wait for him to see this.
Thanks. I think I know Claude, if he's the bloke who knows everything ZX-11 and used to post on BigBikeForum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mine 97 9r had an plastic "grate" on the top and bottom of the actual filter. Like the analogy you made, a sandwich. the bread being the plastic "grates" and the peanut butter/jelly being the actual element.
Yes, that's what the factory manual shows. Trouble is, i just can't see myself keeping one and chucking the other. Also, with one grate and the element on top, it just fits flush with the rim of the lower half of the airbox. Peculiar.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Here is the airbox disection of a 1999 ZX11 D7... hope this helps you out. It appears as though there should be two holder elements.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i am a bit late but... i just opened my 98 zx11 and found a piece of foam sandwiched between the two grids....is this foam the stock filter? its dark grey on the top side and yellow and slighty furry on the bottom side(face down). ive never seen a filter like this. was expecting the accordion style filter. wouldnt the foam restrict air flow.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I seem ot recall an article several years ago in an off road oriented magazine that did some flow testing on K&N's and surprisingly they found that the dirtier they got the better they flowed. Especially in a desert environment. I think that the K&N has too much oil from the factory hindering its flow initially. It just needs to be broken in. I have run them in virtually eery motorcycle I have ever owned with no problems what so ever. If anyone has a flow problwm with a ZX11 there is probably too much oil and it is a better fit in the airbox than the stock unit. My .02 worth says keep the K&N you got and probably never clean it.
Welcome to, by the way.
Jay

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
VOZ, I mean C's and D's airbox and air filter are completely different. You can not install a C's air filter the wrong way while you can on a D. What I don't know is the right way to install a D's air filter; I never fiddled with D's airbox (hopefully, this will change soon though...).

·
Registered
46 Posts
thanks guys...though more confused now about whether to stay stock or go k&n. runnin 4 to 1 muzzy exhaust...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a K&N on my D3 with a MatsUmoto 4-1 exhaust. No problems whatsoever. Smooth from low revs to top revs (7k-8k rpm for me at the moment, little careful after bike accident in January). Air srews are 3 turns out, but will be setting them at 2.5 this weekend to see what it does. Runs with 155 main jets. Also runs ignition advancer.

Stick with the K&N, they are excellent filters. If you look at the pictures Claude posted between the old and new one, the picture shows the way it goes in - correct side up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts