Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out to start my bike up after I had just washed it. Turned the key on and then hit the start button and it turned over once then just "clicked"... hit the button a few more times and just a click noise again.. after hitting the button 5 or 6 times and getting pissed off it finally began turning over but this time I let off the button and the started didn't stop.. I turned the key off and pulled it out and the starter kept turning over! Hit the kill switch and same thing. Had to put the key back in and turn it to the on position and hit the start button again before it finally stopped.. after sitting there for a second wondering what the hell just happened. I hit the button one more time and the bike turned over and idled like normal. Any idea what the electrical issue is I ran into here? Its working just fine now..

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
hit the button a few more times and just a click noise again.. after hitting the button 5 or 6 times and getting pissed off it finally began turning over but this time I let off the button and the started didn't stop.. I turned the key off and pulled it out and the starter kept turning over! Hit the kill switch and same thing.
I have a post out here somewhere where the EXACT same thing happened to me.. Starter switch broke, and on a repeated attempts to arc it, she started, and then the bike went into terminal starter engagement until the battery wound down.

REPLACE THE STARTER SWITCH!!!

Its going to happen again and leave you stranded....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So your saying the solenoid is going bad then? Seems like a pretty cheap fix from what I've looked up. Thanks for the help!

Is this normal on a bike around this milage? Mine is a 96 with 27.5k on the odo..

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Had the very same issue; read post #5 under this thread:
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-11-forum/41020-weird-electrical-problem-start-up.html

So far, the cause look to be a bad alternator wire/connector under the fuel tank (at least on a D). It is hidden under a squarish rubber boot.

Look there first before making any other checks or spending money (I tried 3 relays, 2 handlebar swithes, 2 CDI units before finding this...).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts